Football coach dies after car get becomes stuck in winter conditions

A football coach has died after his car got stuck in wintery weather in Moray.

Buckie Thistle youth coach David Findlay.

David ‘Parro’ Findlay, 53, a Buckie Thistle FC youth coach, died on Sunday while attempting to free his car after it became stuck on an unclassified road near Aberlour on Sunday evening.

It was unclear if he slipped and hit his head or became unwell.

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Sign up to our Football newsletter

Graeme Tallis, the club’s director of football, paying tribute to Mr Findlay described him as “dedicated and kind” and said he would be “sadly missed”.

Read More

Read More
Cameron House fire: Two guests named

Mr Tallis said: “I started with Parro when we were both 16 at Buckie Rovers. He found he wanted to go into coaching, and look after the youth coaching - boys, girls, disability, everything.

“He was Buckie Thistle through and through, his heart was Buckie Thistle, and he brought a lot of young players through.

“He was taking on the youth development role and three weeks ago became the under 20s manager.

“You do not realise how much someone does - for the whole community - until they leave.”

Mr Tallis added: “I spoke to his wife and so to say Buckie Thistle was there for them.

“His car had got stuck on a road around Aberlour and he had got out to try and free it.

“He will be very sadly missed.”

Many paid tribute on social media, with several describing him as a “gentleman”.

Graeme Stewart, the club’s manager, said: “Football is a bit irrelevant at times like this and our thoughts are with his family.

“Everyone knew Parro, he was very bubbly with an infectious personality.

“I saw him on Saturday, he was shouting about an offside. We are all trying to get our heads around it. He’s a massive loss.”

Police Scotland said a report would be sent to the procurator fiscal.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We received a call at 2008 hours on Sunday 17 December to attend an incident in Craigellachie.

“We dispatched two ambulances to the scene.”