Fire service issues wheelie bin fire warning
Two fire units from the city were called out in the early hours of the morning to tackle a blaze at a house in the city’s Charleston Drive after a wheelie bin was set alight and spread to the property.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hosereel jet to tackle the fire and prevent the blaze from spreading further.
A fire service spokesman said: “The property was under renovation and a large amount of debris had been placed in wheelie bins and left next to the property, including old carpets and a mattress.”
He continued: “Once again this highlights how important it is not to leave large quantities of rubbish close to a building.
“Should a fire start accidentally or be started deliberately the chances of extensive damage being caused are increased. Our advice is to ensure that all rubbish is left well away from a building and uplifted at the earliest opportunity.
“Wheelie bin fires can start very quickly and be extremely dangerous, particularly if near property.”
The warning follows an unconnected incident at the weekend which saw a three-year-old girl lowered to safety from the window of her Edinburgh home after a wheelie bin was set alight by the front door.