Fire guts historic city pub

A BLAZE wrecked a historic Edinburgh pub today.

The Old Chain Pier, in Trinity Crescent, Newhaven, was gutted by the fire in the early hours of the morning. It is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

The blaze destroyed the roof of the pub and left the inside totally blackened.

A full investigation will be carried out, although police said they were not treating the fire as suspicious. No-one was hurt in the blaze.

Andrew Nicol, the pub tenant, said he got a call just after 1am.

He said: "The conservatory is all right but the roof and all the rest of the pub is gone. When I saw them using pick axes I knew it was bad."