father told his boy is dead

Share this article

A FATHER told of his heartache today after hearing that his toddler son has died in a Turkish hospital.

Edinburgh grocer Hafiz Musaddaq has not seen his twin sons since they were taken overseas by his estranged wife Rafadh - who is wanted by police in connection with a murder.

Now Mr Musaddaq has been told that his three-year-old son Thmaoor has died in a hospital in Istanbul.

And his other twin son Zubair is also reported to be in a critical condition in hospital.

Mr Musaddaq does not know how his son died or what illness Zubair is suffering from.

Speaking from his Craigmillar home, Mr Musaddaq said today: "I am so upset by this. I need to find out exactly what has happened to my sons.

"A family member has contacted me to say that my son Thmaoor has died in a hospital in Istanbul.

"My other twin son is also ill. But I have no way of finding out what has happened. I need the authorities to find out exactly what has happened to my sons."

Mr Musaddaq was today attempting to contact the authorities in Turkey to find out the exact circumstances of his son’s death. His estranged wife is believed to have originally fled from Edinburgh to northern Cyprus with her brother and sister Tanveer and Shafquat Saleem, taking the twins with her.

The three adults are wanted by police in connection with an arson attack which left their 18-year-old relative Imran Saleem dead. The fire was believed to be the result of a family feud.

They are also wanted for questioning over the theft of thousands of pounds from the Raeburn Place Post Office, where Shafquat Saleem was the keyholder.

Rafadh, 32, her sister Shafquat, 29, and brother Tanveer, 27, disappeared from their Corstorphine home on September 8. They had earlier been detained by police in relation to the arson attack in Wester Hailes in June, which detectives are treating as a murder inquiry. The Barn Park flat had petrol poured through the letter box before being set alight.

Police have confirmed that the three were detained but later released without charge. They now believe that all three have fled overseas together.

Mr Musaddaq and his wife have been separated for two years, but he maintained regular contact with the twins.

Imran Saleem died after a fire was started in the early hours of June 14, 2001.

The blaze ripped through the family home in minutes. Mohammed Saleem, 64, his wife Safia, 52, daughter Mussart, 24, and one-year-old baby granddaughter leapt from a window to a balcony one floor below.

Two other occupants were rescued by firefighters, but Imran was trapped in an upstairs bedroom of the third-floor flat. He was treated at the scene but later died in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Petrol had been poured through the letter box before being set alight and police believe a feud was behind the attack on the Saleem family home.

Around two weeks before the fatal fire, police and fire crews were called to the same address when the family’s Renault 25 car was destroyed in a petrol-bomb attack. And days before that, a bag of burning rubbish had been placed on the car’s bonnet.