Eight homes were evacuated in Edinburgh after furniture was deliberately set alight in a flat close, police have said.
Three women and a man were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation following the blaze in the city on Sunday.
Two of the women were then taken to hospital for precautionary checks.
Several members of the public called 999 to report a fire at a ground-floor flat in Murrayburn Green at about 9pm.
Fire crews from Sighthill and Tollcross were sent to the scene and eight homes were evacuated. Firefighters extinguished the blaze by 12.55am.
Police said the fire was caused by furniture abandoned in the common close being deliberately set alight.
Inspector David Ferguson said: “Thankfully no-one was seriously injured in this incident but it could have been much worse.
“I am keen to hear from anyone who was in the area around 9pm last night and who might have information that can assist us with our inquiries.
“I’d also like to remind residents not to leave items of furniture or rubbish in communal areas where they can be a target for fire-raising.”
Meanwhile, a woman has been taken to hospital for treatment to injuries after her TV went up in flames.
The fire service were called to the property at Somerset Place, Edinburgh, at 8.55pm on Sunday.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “A TV was alight in the living room. A female casualty was given oxygen therapy while awaiting an ambulance.
“She was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment to smoke inhalation.”
A man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and the two fire crews put out the flames within half an hour.