Dog recovers after swallowing kebab skewer

Vets have performed life-saving surgery on the dog which swallowed an eight-inch metal skewer along with a chicken kebab. Picture: Pets'n'Vets Family/PA Wire'.
Vets have performed life-saving surgery on the dog which swallowed an eight-inch metal skewer along with a chicken kebab. Picture: Pets'n'Vets Family/PA Wire'.
0
Have your say

Vets have performed life-­saving surgery on a dog which swallowed an eight-inch metal skewer along with a chicken kebab.

The animal experts discovered the piece of metal inside a shar pei called Hoshi when they took X-rays to investigate a lump which had appeared in her side.

The dog had eaten the kebab and the skewer inside it at a barbecue she attended with her owners – who are vegetarian.

Hoshi has made a good recovery since the skewer was removed in an operation at the Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital in Glasgow.

Ruth Greening, a veterinary surgeon at the Pets’n’Vets Family, carried out the procedure.

Ms Greening said: “Hoshi came in for X-rays to investigate a lump which had appeared on the side of her abdomen.

“We were astounded when X-rays revealed that the swelling on Hoshi’s abdomen was the point of a large metal skewer piercing her ribs, which she had apparently swallowed at the barbecue.”

The six-year-old dog spent a few days recovering at the hospital before returning home.

Her owner, Sandra Kin, said: “Hoshi has previously eaten some things she shouldn’t have, but I never thought she’d swallow a whole piece of meat with a huge metal barbeque stick in it.

“We are very fortunate that she didn’t end up much worse, thanks to the surgery performed by the Pets’n’Vets Family.

“Hoshi’s a little bit crazy, but I guess that’s why we love her!”

Ross Allan, a vet at the Roundhouse Veterinary ­Hospital, said it is quite ­common for dogs to swallow items such as stones, balls 
and stuffed toys, but that a sharp metal skewer is very unusual.

He urged people to take care with sharp objects around their pets.

He said: “Barbecues are very popular at this time of year and, with the warm weather set to return, we would urge owners to be aware that all pets will often eat any food left unguarded rapidly and ­without being aware of any hidden dangers, such as sharp skewers.”