Toby Siddique murder: The bungling Bulgarian, the bouncer – and the siblings who wouldn’t meet

THE man was described as a millionaire – but he was lured to his death by the offer of a few packs of cheap cigarettes.The cold-blooded killing was ordered by his brother, and motivated by greed and hate, a jury was told.

It didn’t take long to catch up with amateur hit-man Tencho Andonov, 28, after he had carried out the bidding of Mohammed Azam Siddique – known to everyone as Mo.

After gunning down Mohammed Nadeem Siddique, known as Toby, the Bulgarian’s efforts to cover his tracks were just not good enough. He turned his weapon – either a CZ83 of Czech origin or a Russian-made Makarov – on the only witness, expecting a 9mm bullet to silence him.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He expected to be on his way back to Bulgaria the next day. He hurriedly quit his delivery job, spinning bosses a story about his girlfriend being injured in a car crash in Greece.

But bungling Andonov’s dash for freedom was halted when he discovered he had forgotten to pack his passport and could not get onto the flight his sister had arranged for him. He also left spent two bullets and four cartridge cases, all clearly made in Bulgaria, for ballistics experts to pick up at the crime scene in Glenrothes.

Former security man David Dalgleish, 44, survived to describe in court the shooting in his flat in Forres Drive, Glenrothes, on 24 October, 2010.

After hiding out in Leicester, Andonov was arrested a week after the murder as he tried to board a Bulgaria-bound coach, hoping he could bluff his way home without his passport.

Next to be arrested was Andonov’s pal, fellow Bulgarian Deyan Nikolov, 27. On 16 November, 2010, he was arrested for aiding his best friend’s escape. Later the charge became murder.

Murder hunt detectives soon realised that he was more than just a bouncer at Mo’s Blue Mondays nightclub on Kirkcaldy High Street. Doorman and boss seemed to have an unusual number of very private meetings and Nikolov was driving a £26,000 BMW at Mo’s expense.

As they shared a cell in Perth Prison, waiting for the case to come to trial, they discussed ways of explaining away the firearm discharge residue in the BMW, deciding to claim it was the result of a clay pigeon shooting outing.

Yet when Mo Siddique spoke to police on 25 October, 2010, the morning after his brother’s death, he claimed to hardly know Nikolov, describing his as “Nick who is foreign.”

The trial heard how hours and hours spent examining mobile phone records tied all three men together.

The mobile phone evidence also exposed lies by Mo Siddique and Nikolov, showing that at crucial times there were not where they claimed to be.

Mo Siddique then set out to destroy Toby’s reputation. The suggestion was that he was just the sort of man who would die as a result of a chance fall-out among rogues.

It was true that Toby Siddique was sentenced to nine months in jail for fraud in May 2003. After his release, he had plastic surgery to hide the scar left by a prison slashing.

Toby was accused of fraud again in May 2007 but the charges were dropped. Girlfriend Carol Davies, 28, took the blame and went to jail.

Davies was also said to have gone through a sham marriage at his request, to allow another man to get round the immigration authorities, and been paid £1,500 for her trouble.

The prosecution said that at the centre of the feud between the brothers was Moncreiff Properties, worth about £6 million on paper. The reality was a string of low-rent flats – a far cry from Mo’s up-market home, Glenfoyle House in Auchtertool – run by a company which owed thousands to the bank and to the tax man.

Defence QC Derek Ogg, for Mo Siddique, claimed that Toby was running a benefit scam, using the identities of “tenants” who were in prison or, in one case, a soldier who had died in Afghanistan. It was claimed Toby made a fortune from smuggled vodka and tobacco

The trial also heard that married father-of-four Mo Siddique was no angel. He was enjoying an affair with a shop worker in Kinghorn.

Among the smears and counter smears, one thing was certain. The brothers were at loggerheads over the future of Moncreiff Properties. They never met, hardly spoke and only communicated through lawyers or mobile phone texts.. It was a feud that ended in murder