Liam Fee murder: Accused '˜deleted critical calls' from mobile

A woman accused of murdering toddler Liam Fee has told a court there was nothing she could have done to prevent the two-year-old's death.

Nyomi Fee, right, and her civil partner Rachael Fee leave Livingston Court. Picture: SWNS

Nyomi Fee, 28, also dismissed suggestions the death could have been avoided if she had never got involved with her partner Rachel Fee and the boy.

The court heard Nyomi Fee deleted three “critical” calls on her mobile phone made between her and her mother within ten minutes on the night Liam died. She denied such a move was intentional, as prosecutor Alex Prentice QC asked: “What did you really discuss with your mother?”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Fee is on trial at the High Court in Livingston alongside her civil partner Rachel Fee, or Trelfa, 31 – Liam’s mother – where they deny murdering the toddler by repeatedly inflicting “blunt force trauma” to his head and body.

Liam died at a house near Glenrothes in Fife on March 22, 2014.

Nyomi Fee has previously admitted her failure to seek the required medical help for an injury Liam had to his leg days before his death amounted to neglect and ill-treatment.

Concluding his cross-questioning of the accused yesterday Mr Prentice QC asked her: “Looking back, do you think there’s anything you could have done to prevent the events which led to Liam’s death?”

She replied: “I didn’t know that that was going to happen, so no.”

“Would you change anything?” Mr Prentice went on.

“Yes. I would have got medical attention for Liam when I suspected his leg was injured,” Fee replied.

On the 27th day of the trial, the prosecutor also questioned Fee on why she had deleted calls made to her mother on the evening Liam died before handing her phone over to police.

Mr Prentice said: “The only ones you deleted were the calls to and from your mother.”

Fee said she had not done so on purpose and her phone was “completely cracked” and held together with tape, and insisted she had informed police about what had happened. The prosecutor went on: “It’s just a bit odd that within that cluster these are the only three which are deleted. It looks odd.”

Fee dismissed the suggestion. The trial continues.