Colin Hendry faces trial over ex assault claims

Colin Hendry will go on trial accused of harassing and assaulting his ex-girlfriend. Picture: PA
Colin Hendry will go on trial accused of harassing and assaulting his ex-girlfriend. Picture: PA
Share this article
Have your say

FORMER Scotland football captain Colin Hendry has admitted harassing his ex-girlfriend over a two-month period.

Hendry, 49, pleaded guilty to sending unwanted text messages and e-mails to beautician Sarah Kinder after she ended their relationship in March this year.

He also accepted that he made unwanted visits to her home in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire, and twice threw stones at her bedroom window.

An allegation of common assault against Hendry was dropped after Ms Kinder retracted her statement in which the footballer was said to have grabbed her by the arm several times as she tried to get in a taxi.

Ms Kinder attended court but was not required to give evidence in a scheduled trial after the Crown offered no evidence on the assault charge.

Sentencing was adjourned until 20 August for the Probation Service to carry out a report.

Hendry, of Coopers Row, Lytham St Annes, was told the sentencing options ranged from a custodial sentence to a community order.

He began seeing Ms Kinder following the death of his wife Denise, 42, in 2009 following botched cosmetic surgery.

She broke off the relationship in late December 2014 but they were reunited on 21 February this year, the court was told.

Hendry received a 17-month ban from the road earlier this year after he admitted drink-driving in Lytham in the early hours of 21 February.

He was previously reported to have “bombarded” Ms Kinder with text messages following the first split and was given a harassment order.

Ms Kinder went on to finally end the relationship on 3 March and Hendry’s catalogue of harassment followed from that date until 18 April. Hendry’s basis of plea was read to the court in which he explained he was “extremely upset and confused” by the March break-up. He said he was “in something of an emotional turmoil” and did not want the relationship to end.

But he accepted his behaviour was “unacceptable on occasions”, although he believed at the time the relationship was “retrievable”.

He said he would check “if she was OK” by sometimes driving past her home and on one occasion entered her home through an unlocked front door.

Hendry said he saw Ms Kinder in two bars in Lytham on the evening of 17 April and later into the early hours of the next day.

He had been told she was “very drunk, upset and walking barefoot” and said he went over to help her as she got into a taxi.

Police witnessed the taxi incident and he was arrested. Hendry said he wished to apologise to her and added he was “embarrassed and truly sorry”.

Mitigation for Hendry will be heard on his sentencing date. He was granted unconditional bail.