Clutha: Teens admit stealing alcohol, charity tins

The teens were seen leaving the pub by a man paying his respects to a dead friend. Picture: Getty
The teens were seen leaving the pub by a man paying his respects to a dead friend. Picture: Getty
Share this article
Have your say

THREE teenagers were spotted leaving the Clutha Vaults pub with bags of booze and charity tins only weeks after a helicopter hit the roof killing 10 people.

Jordan Parry, 16, Darren Melrose, 18 and Charmaine Holmes, 17, made off from the scene with the items and left bottles strewn at the entrance behind them.

The trio were spotted by a man who was paying his respects to a friend who was killed in the tragedy, on November 29, 2013.

Police were alerted and the teenagers were caught red-handed on camera forcing their way into the empty pub.

Officers then heard them smashing charity tins off of the pavement and saw piles of coins and bottles of alcohol.

Parry, Melrose and Holmes pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to breaking into the Clutha Vaults pub, while acting with another, and stealing charity tins, cash and alcohol.

On November 29, last year, a Police Scotland helicopter crashed into the roof of the Clutha Vaults pub which ultimately killed 10 people.

The court heard that around 2.20am on December 17, Edward Kirkland was standing near flowers at the edge of the Clydeside when he saw the three accused hanging around at the pub and was “concerned”.

He walked to the Euro Hostel on Clyde Street and contacted the police.

Procurator fiscal depute Cecelia De-Groot told the court: “CCTV operators were alerted and they were able to observe the accused outside the locus. The first time on the CCTV is 2.24 hours.”

She said Holmes could be seen going to the front of the pub and trying to get in but it was secured.

Mrs De-Groot said: “The accused Melrose then approached the front door and forced entry using bodily pressure and force.

“All accused entered the locus and they remained there until 2.45 hours.

“They could be seen exiting and they ran across the road in possession of carrier bags.”

They were spotted on CCTV heading along the River Clyde and police made their way there.

Mrs De-Groot added: “They could be heard smashing what was charity tins off the pavement and throwing parts of the tins into the River Clyde.

“Officers observed piles of coins from the tins on the ground and bottles of alcohol.”

Parry, Melrose and Holmes were told they were being arrested for theft by housebreaking.

Police went to the Clutha and saw that the building was not secure and bottles of alcohol were strewn around inside the entrance to the pub.

The court heard £171 was the amount taken from three charity tins and a quantity of alcohol too.

Sheriff Joseph Platt deferred sentence on each accused until next month for reports and remanded them in custody.


Teens remanded on Clutha bar break in claims

Clutha: Teens face cash and alcohol theft charges

Clutha: Teens charged with theft back in court