Charles Green and Craig Whyte charged with Rangers fraud

Craig Whyte leaves court surrounded by police on September 2, 2015 in Glasgow. Picture: Getty Images
Craig Whyte leaves court surrounded by police on September 2, 2015 in Glasgow. Picture: Getty Images
Have your say

FORMER Rangers owner Craig Whyte and ex-chief executive Charles Green have been charged with serious organised crime offences in relation to the acquisition of the club in 2012.

The pair were met by chaotic scenes as a group of Rangers fans gathered to question and shout at the men as they left Glasgow Sheriff Court separately yesterday afternoon.

A group of around 20 supporters shouted and tried to jostle former Sheffield United chief executive Green who left court around 3.30 pm.

Motherwell-born Whyte, 44, has been charged under Section 28 of the Criminal Justice Licensing Act 2010 which covers serious organised crime offences. He also faced a charge of conspiracy.

Green, 62, has been dealt the same charges as well as fraud and an offence under Section 190 of the Companies Act 2006.

The pair were joined in the court by David Whitehouse, who was the club’s co-administrator in 2012. He has been charged with conspiracy and serious organised crime offences.

Former Rangers owner Charles Green. Picture: HeMedia

Former Rangers owner Charles Green. Picture: HeMedia

Whitehouse was arrested after officers from Police Scotland and Cheshire carried out an operation in England. He left the court 20 minutes after Green – to equally angry scenes.

Whyte made his exit just before 7pm and was met by another angry crowd. All three men made no plea or declaration and were granted bail.

Whyte took control of Rangers in May 2011 after buying the club from former owner Sir David Murray, paying a token £1 fee. But by the summer of 2012 Green had taken charge at the Ibrox club by purchasing Rangers’ assets and business after it went into administration and liquidation earlier that year. He stepped down as chief executive in 2013.

A line of police officers surrounded the men as they left the front door of the court faced with a media scrum and a group of around 20 supporters.

Earlier, Police Scotland said they had arrested another man, understood to be former Rangers administrator Paul Clark, in connection with the investigation into the purchase of the club in 2012.

Clark, 51, was co-administrator of Oldco Rangers with Whitehouse.

A statement said: “Police Scotland can confirm a 51-year-old man has been arrested and is presently detained in police custody in connection with an ongoing investigation into an alleged fraudulent acquisition of Rangers FC in 2012.”

He is due to appear in court today.

Whitehouse, 50, who worked at Duff & Phelps, was appointed as joint administrator, along with colleague Clark.

When an agreement with creditors could not be struck to allow the club to exit administration, a sale of Rangers’ assets to a consortium led by Green was concluded.

He was at the helm when Rangers were allowed to join the Third Division but stepped down from the club in 2013 following allegations that he was working in conjunction with Whyte.

Green was questioned for several hours by officers at Livingston police station on Tuesday night after being arrested.

Later on Tuesday, Whyte was driven to Helen Street police station in Glasgow where he was also questioned by police, detained and arrested.