Briefing: Youths involved in takeaway driver's death sentenced

TWO 16-year old youths, who took part in an incident that ended in the death of 40-year old takeaway driver Simon San, have been sent to detention for 42 months and 34 months respectively.

Mr San was forced to get out of his tiny Smart car after returning from a delivery on August 10 this year by a group of youths who began rocking it. He was backed up against a wall and killed by a single punch by 16-year old John Reid, who has already been sentenced to five years' detention after pleading guilty to culpable homicide.

Michael Roberts and Keir Rodger, who both appeared from custody, pleaded guilty previously at Edinburgh Sheriff Court to assaulting Mr San.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Roberts also admitted stealing the car keys and a mobile phone from the victim and to failing to appear at court.

A 14-year old youth, who cannot be identified, had his not guilty plea to assault accepted by the Crown.

Airline faces cash claim from former employees

FLYGLOBESPAN is facing a 4 million claim from former staff over its failure to consult on redundancies.

The Edinburgh-based budget airline went into administration just before Christmas last year, leaving thousands of passengers - and its own cabin crew - stranded abroad.

Around 650 people lost their jobs as the company collapsed - and now 500 cabin crew staff have launched an employment tribunal case.

They say staff were axed just a week before Christmas without any pay or notice, with many finding out they had lost their jobs from news reports.

Court date set for Riggi mother

A MOTHER accused of murdering her three children in Edinburgh is due to appear at the High Court next month.

Theresa Riggi, 46, was charged with murder after twins Austin and Luke, eight, and their sister Cecilia, five, were found dead in a flat in Slateford Road on August 4.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mrs Riggi was remanded in custody following her last appearance at the city's sheriff court earlier this year.

Yesterday the Crown Office confirmed that there would be a preliminary hearing on January 21 at the High Court in Edinburgh.