Boys’ Brigade leader jailed after sex chat

Dundee Sheriff Court. Stuart Milne was arrested after police went to his Boys' Brigade camp. Picture: TSPL
Dundee Sheriff Court. Stuart Milne was arrested after police went to his Boys' Brigade camp. Picture: TSPL
Share this article
Have your say

A BOYS’ Brigade leader who was arrested in front of his troop after online sex conversations with a primary school girl were found on his laptop has been jailed.

Stuart Milne was detained by officers in a field in Argyll and Bute while on a camping trip with his Boys’ Brigade group after the girl’s parents found evidence of the conversations on Skype.

Police were called in last July when the parents of the 12-year-old found “indecent” images on her tablet computer.

They found she had been taking part in online sex chats from the age of 11 and had sent pictures of herself naked and carrying out sex acts.

A forensic examination of her devices found she had also received pictures from a man on her Skype contact list.

That led officers to Milne – who admitted taking part in sex conversations and sending and receiving images to and from her over a ten-month period.

A sheriff told Milne she was “concerned” about him having contact with children and jailed him for two years.

Fiscal depute Susan Ruta told Dundee Sheriff Court: “The accused is single, resides with his parents and works for Tesco as a delivery driver.

“He and his father were at the time leaders in the Boys’ Brigade. The complainer is a girl who was at the time in primary school. She had various electronic devices used to access the internet, which she did in her room.

“On July 18 last year the complainer’s parents discovered obscene images on her tablet.”

She added: “Police were contacted and various items were seized. A forensic examination revealed the complainer had been engaging in sexualised chat using Skype. Indecent images of the complainer were also found.

“Her contact list was interrogated and the accused was identified.

“A search warrant was granted for the accused’s home and it was established that he was on a camping trip with the Boys’ Brigade in Argyll and Bute.

“Due to concerns about this contact, arrangements were put in place to have him detained by Strathclyde officers.

“His phone was examined along with his computer. Sexually explicit images of the girl were found.”

Ms Ruta added: “There were conversations between them taking place from October 2012 until June 2013 as well as video or voice calls logged.”

Milne, 25, of Boysack Gardens, Broughty Ferry, Dundee, pleaded guilty on indictment to two charge under the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act.

Sheriff Elizabeth Munro jailed Milne for two years and imposed two years’ supervision on his release.

He was also placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.

Sheriff Munro said: “Only a custodial sentence is appropriate given the seriousness of the charges.

“I am seriously concerned about you being around young girls so on your release you will be placed on an extended sentence which means you will be subject to supervision.”