Boy loses battle with deadly infection

Share this article
Have your say

A SCHOOLBOY whose battle against a deadly infection was followed by thousands of people on Facebook has died.

Caden Beggan, six, was diagnosed with meningococcal septicaemia, a type of blood poisoning caused by bacteria.

His parents David, 44 and Angela, 39 created a Facebook page to keep friends and family updated, which received more than 36,000 “likes”.

Followers of the page were told how brave Caden, of Cleland, Lanarkshire, had lost both his legs and an arm to the bug but it had been hoped he would survive his illness.

But last night his father left an update on the social media site revealing the tragic news that Caden had died in his parents’ arms yesterday afternoon.

He wrote: “Dear friends, Caden Riley Beggan Born 29th September, 2006 Died 20th November, 2012 in Mummy and Daddy’s arms.

“Thank you for all your support. Caden is alive forevermore . . .”

Last night, thousands of users posted tributes on the page.

Sarah Godfrey posted: “I have no words, heartbreaking for us to read the news. I cannot imagine how Caden’s loved ones are feeling.”

Caden was taken to Wishaw General and transferred to Yorkhill Children’s Hospital in Glasgow last month as he battled the fatal infection. It is understood that he had been due for surgery earlier this week.

Last night, the headteacher of Caden’s school paid an emotional tribute to the youngster.

Ladywell Primary head teacher Pat Ashworth said: “The whole school is terribly shocked and upset at Caden’s tragic death.

“He was an amazing little boy who will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him and the many thousands of people who followed his struggle on Facebook.”