• Diamond jewellery is a perennial favourite, with queues out of the door reported at some upmarket retailers over the past week.
• Links of London's new 20/20 or infinity collection jewellery has sold out completely within Edinburgh.
• Hunter welly socks are proving to be popular stocking fillers, according to John Lewis.
• Swedish watch brand Triwa is a popular choice among many gift buyers.
• Taking advantage of late-night opening hours to avoid the crowds.
• If you are able to use flexi-time at work, perhaps stretch that lunchtime into a wee shopping trip.
• Similarly, some stores are opening from 8am so plan a shopping stop on the way to the office.
• Use public transport to avoid queues and hunting for a parking space.
• Lots of places offer spa or relaxation treatments, so get yourself an early present as a reward
l Tips by Penny Godfery, marketing manager of the Union Square shopping centre in Aberdeen.