IT IS the only airport in the world where scheduled flights land and take off from a tidal beach.
Now Barra’s very own X factor has beaten the celebrity studded surroundings of Los Angeles International Airport in a poll to find the top ten most scenic landings in the world.
The white sands of Traigh Mhor, which double as the Hebridean island’s runway - when the tide is right - also won more votes than St Maarten Airport in the Caribbean.
Barra was voted the fourth best approach, out of 115 airfields which were nominated for the poll by private jet booking service, Private Fly.
Beating Barra to take the top three positions in the poll were the winner, Malta Airport, followed by Nice Cote D’Azur, with Queenstown Airport, in New Zealand, coming third.
Adam Twidell, one the judges, said of Barra Airport: “This really is an out-of-this-world arrival into Scotland’s outer Hebrides.”
Here are the top 10 scenic airport approaches, according to PrivateFly’s 2016 survey:
1. Malta Airport, Malta
2. Nice Cote D’Azur Airport, France
3. Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
4. Barra Airport, Scotland, UK
5. Saba Airport (Juancho E Yrausquin), Caribbean Netherlands
6. Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada
7. Donegal Airport, Ireland
8. St. Maarten Airport (Princess Juliana International), Caribbean
9. Los Angeles International Airport, California
10. London City Airport, UK