'Appalling' 100mph car-chase driver jailed

A DANGEROUS driver who was chased for 26 miles by police in a high-speed pursuit before ploughing into a force 4x4 has been jailed.

In court yesterday, Darryl England's solicitor claimed the incident was sparked after the 25-year-old made an emotional journey to Peterhead from Northampton to confront a man he believed had abused him as a child.

The chase, which saw England clock speeds of up to 100mph, ended when he smashed his Ford Mondeo into a police Range Rover, near the Cock and Bull restaurant at Balmedie, Aberdeenshire.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Footage taken from the tailing police car captured the drama that unfolded on the A950 Peterhead to Mintlaw road, the A952 Mintlaw to Toll of Birness road and the A90 Toll of Birness to Aberdeen road.

Clips of England driving into the path of swerving lorries, cars and a Stagecoach bus were shown at Aberdeen Sheriff Court when he appeared from custody for sentence.

England, whose address was listed in court papers as Claystones, West Hunsbury, Northampton, admitted driving dangerously on 26 February.

He drove through a red light and swerved across white lines reaching speeds up to 100mph during the incident.

The driver overtook vehicles when it was not safe, causing motorists coming in the opposite direction to slam on their brakes in order to avoid a collision and pulled into the path of oncoming traffic without giving way.

England drove on to a verge before losing control of the car and colliding with a Grampian Police Range Rover.

Fiscal depute Sandy Hutchison said: "Having viewed the DVD myself I think it is only due to the good sense and carefulness of other road users that matters did not come to an end with another collision."

Defence agent Stuart Beveridge admitted that England's driving had been "appalling".

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But Mr Beveridge then told the court: "He had come up to confront the man he believed was responsible for abusing him as a child.

"He had been driving around trying to find that address when he came to the attention of the police for a minor road traffic matter.

"He was in a highly emotive state. He really can't explain why he didn't stop."

The solicitor said England was currently serving a prison sentence of three years and two months imposed in March 2010 for crimes of dishonesty.

Sheriff James Tierney sentenced England to another 15 months behind bars, to start after he has finished his current sentence, and banned him from driving for four years.

Sheriff Tierney added: "This was clearly an appalling exhibition of driving over a length of time."