Pupils from Lawfield Primary School joined the Minister and representatives from Dalkeith-based Melville Housing Association to unveil a plaque and artwork that they helped to design.
The project, which has been employing over 100 people during its construction, is by far the largest development ever undertaken by Melville. It has increased the number of properties owned by Midlothian’s largest registered social landlord to over 1900.
The site was designated for housing under Midlothian Council’s 2008 Local Plan. Melville owned half the site and purchased the rest from the council after Langlaw primary school closed.