Aberdeen siege: Man detained for wasting police time

A MAN was detained today in connection with wasting police time after armed police officers laid siege to house in Aberdeen for almost five hours - only to find the property was empty.

Picture: TSPL
Picture: TSPL
Picture: TSPL

The massive police operation at a bungalow in the Heathryfold area of the city was finally stood down after officers used battering rams to gain entry to the address and found no one inside.

At the height of the operation members of an armed response unit, carrying machine guns, and officers in riot gear surrounded the house in Heathryfold Circle as nearby streets were completely cordoned off. Specialist police negotiators were also called to the scene.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Shortly after the siege ended a spokesman for Police Scotland announced: “A 29-year-old man has subsequently been detained in relation to wasting police time and is currently in police custody.”

He said: “Following receipt of a call to area control room at 11.25am , officers were deployed to an address in the Heathryfold Circle area. The information contained in this call was assessed and appropriate specialist officers were deployed to carry out an armed containment of the property.

“Negotiators were also deployed and following continuous assessment, a systematic search of the property was carried out. The property was found to be empty and armed officers were stood down.”

Chief inspector Nick Topping said: “This dynamic situation is one that our specialist officers are trained for and we are pleased that it has now been resolved.

“I would like to thank members of the public for their patience in dealing with the inconvenience and disruption that this incident caused.”

Chief Inspector Topping added: “I am not able to give specific comment on the specific information that was given. But what was deployed was to make sure that there was no impact to safety for the public and also to minimise any risk to officers.

“A male has been been detained for giving false information to the Police. We are hoping that we will be able to speak to the gentleman very, very soon.”

Asked if the resources deployed had been an overreaction to the situation, he replied: “It was just to maximise public safety and minimise any risk to officers that the appropriate resources at the time of the information that came in were used in relation to this call.”