Aberdeen fans in court over ‘widespread disorder’

FIVE Aberdeen fans are to stand trial accused of trying to fight rival fans on their way to a Scottish Premiership match against Dundee United amid “widespread disorder”

Five Aberdeen supporters are in court over allegedly causing 'widespread disruption' at a Dundee United fixture. Picture: SNS

Anthony Steppie, Euan Stevenson, David Gowans, Kennedy Miskimmons and Scott Steppie all appeared at Dundee Sheriff Court today accused of football hooliganism offences around the fixture at Tannadice on December 13 last year.

The five men all face a charge of engaging in behaviour likely to incite public disorder by forming part of a disorderly crowd and repeatedly attempted to engage in violence with rival fans.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Those offences are said to have taken place in Dundee’s Main Street and Church Street.

Euan Stevenson faces a further charge of assaulting an unknown male by kicking him on the body in Church Street, while Scott Steppie faces a charge of assaulting an unknown male in Caldrum Street by punching him on the head.

Anthony Steppie, 49, of Birkhall Parade, Stevenson, 20, of Cairnfield Place, Gowans, 21, of Woodend Crescent, Miskimmons, 39, of Deer Road and Scott Steppie, 21, of Birkhall Parade, all Aberdeen, deny charges under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act.

Sheriff Alistair Carmichael set a trial date in August and released the men on bail on the condition they don’t attend any matches involving Aberdeen FC in the meantime.

The case comes after three Dundee men admitted identical charges relating to the same incidents.

Lemmy Milne, Alexander Middleton and Grant Fender appeared at Dundee Sheriff Court last week facing charges of being part of a disorderly crowd on the day of the Dundee United v Aberdeen match on December 13 last year.

They face jail when they return to court for sentence next month.

Cops launched dawn raids on those suspected to be involved in incidents around the match.

Although there was no disorder within Tannadice stadium during the match there were widespread reports of fighting and disorder.