Natalie McGarry detained by Turkey Special Forces

Natalie McGarry is currently suspended by the SNP. Picture: PA
Natalie McGarry is currently suspended by the SNP. Picture: PA
Have your say

THE former SNP MP Natalie McGarry has been detained in Turkey after she was seen recording the sound of falling bombs with her mobile phone.

Turkish media reported that the Glasgow East MP had been questioned by Turkish Special Forces in the Sur district of Diyarbakir while on a trip with the GMB trade union.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said: “A British national was briefly detained and released in Diyarbakir, Turkey.

“Our embassy staff were in close contact with local authorities.”

• READ MORE: J K Rowling says she may sue MP Natalie McGarry

The spokeswoman would not say why the British national had been held, but a statement released by her lawyer Aamer Anwar said Turkish security forces became “alarmed”, because she was using her phone near a security checkpoint.

Mr Anwar said: “I can confirm that Natalie McGarry MP was questioned earlier on today, when she was recording the sound of bombs from the Turkish Forces falling on the Kurdish area of Sur in Diyarbakir. It appears that a member of the Turkish security forces became alarmed as Natalie had her mobile phone out near a security checkpoint.

“She was taken away for questioning and when it was explained that she was part of the GMB delegation and simply recording the sound of bombs falling, she was released. There will be no further statement and Natalie will be returning home soon.” When asked on Twitter about the episode, Ms McGarry replied: “Thank you for any concerns but I am safe and absolutely fine.”

Later she tweeted: “To follow up on statement from elsewhere, I was not arrested, but answered some questions. I am absolutely fine and have no further comment.”

Ms McGarry has been a prominent pro-Kurdish campaigner who has been critical of the Turkish government.

Last year she was suspended by the SNP while police investigate missing donations from the pro-independence group Women for Independence, which campaigned for a Yes vote in the 2014 referendum.

Ms McGarry was forced to resign the SNP party whip last November after police named her as part of their investigation into allegations that £30,000 of donations had gone missing.