ON THIS day in 1842, Glasgow’s Queen Street (Scottish Gaelic: Glaschu Sràid na Banrighinn) train station opened.
Built to link Glasgow with Edinburgh, the original name for the station was Glasgow Dundas Street.
The station and line took four years to build and is the smaller of the city’s two major termini.
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND MOBILE APPS
The station serves to link Glasgow with the north, as well as Edinburgh, and connects with many of the city’s northern suburbs.
It was originally in competition with the nearby Buchanan Street station but its competitor was forced to close in 1966 with many of its rival’s major routes being transferred to Queen Street Station. A recent proposal has seen the idea of linking Glasgow’s two stations, with the crossrail plan being the preferred option.
A planned £104 million revamp has had several public consultations and has already begun to transform the station. A new glass frontage to the station will be created onto the square if agreement is reached with the Millennium Hotel to demolish its 1960s western extension.
The work will not now be completed until 2019, as Scotland on Sunday revealed last year.