THE University of Glasgow have marked the 80th anniversary of the RMS Queen Mary launch by releasing archived image of the ship under construction.
The ocean liner, which was retired in 1967, was commissioned by Cunard Line in 1929 and built by John Brown & Company in the Clydebank shipyards.
The maiden voyage came two years after its 1934 completion, going from Southampton to New York.
The ship was named after Mary of Teck, the Queen consort during the reign of King-Emperor George V and Queen Elizabeth’s grandmother.
It proceeded its sister ship the Queen Elizabeth as the flagship of the Cunard Line and even helped ferry Allied soldiers during World War II.