Hibee history: Classy Hibs run rings round nasty Videoton

Videoton 0-3 Hibs 26 Sept 1989

THIS was Hibs' first away tie victory in Europe for 15 years. It was against Rosenborg in Norway in 1975 that Hibs had last sampled the sweet smell of success abroad but this was a more devastating display.

But the Easter Road men had to contend with the dirty tricks of a Videoton side who clearly weren't happy as they disappeared off the European map. Fortunately German referee Karl Assenmacher was in total control.

He sent off Tamas Petres for a backhand punch on Neil Cooper early in the second half but missed an assault on Paul Kane by Sprecak. The only disappointment for Hibs was the booking of John Collins for mild retaliation against the tough Takacs, booked for the second time.

Takacs tore a gold chain from Collins' neck, yet the Hibs man received the same punishment for a very minor role in the incident. Collins' only consolation was that he recovered the chain after the match.

This was a smooth, flowing show from a Hibs side with little experience of European football after being in the wilderness for 11 years. Manager Alex Miller wanted a goal in the first ten minutes to supplement the 1-0 lead from the first leg and the players answered his call brilliantly.

With only nine minutes gone, Graham Mitchell strode down the left and planted a perfect cross on the head of Keith Houchen, who beat Petry comfortably with a well-timed effort.

The party was over for Videoton and their discipline crumbled in the disappointment of a second defeat. Indeed, Hibs went on to humble them by not losing a goal in either match.

Gareth Evans tapped in the second goal in 59 minutes after Houchen had headed an Alan Sneddon free-kick against the post.

And Collins added the third in 79 minutes with a crashing left-footer when Brian Hamilton rocketed the ball against the bar from more than 30 yards and the rebound went to his colleague.

Hibs' gleeful fans celebrated inside the ground and demanded that manager Miller and his players should take a bow on the track when the rest of the 16,000 spectators had left the stadium.

In an outstanding display, Houchen was the star man. He ran so hard that Steve Archibald took over from him in the closing minutes but then complained, tongue in cheek, to the manager that "there were another two goals in me".

Hibs: Goram, Kane, Sneddon, Cooper, Mitchell (McGinlay), Hunter, Hamilton, Orr, Houchen (Archibald), Collins, Evans.