Take a look around the castle known as 'Scotland's White House'

Culzean Castle in Ayrshire is known as Scotland's White House thanks to its dedicated Eisenhower Apartments.

Culzean Castle
Culzean Castle

The top floor of Culzean Castle was famously presented to General Dwight D. Eisenhower in thanks for his service to the people of Britain during World War II. Eisenhower stayed at the castle during his time as president of the United States, earning it the nickname of the “Scottish White House”. Eisenhower was said to be flattered by the gift and made several trips to the location throughout his life, including once during his tenure in the Oval Office. Recently around $300,000 (£230,000) was raised for restoration of a special feature at an annual gala organised by National Trust for Scotland Foundation USA.

The castle courtyard including castle walls, mortar battery, dolphin arch and coach ring.
The right wing of Culzean Castle.
The camellia house at Culzean Castle is a gothic conservatory originally designed as an orangery by architect James Donaldson in 1818. A furnace at the back of the building supplied under-floor heating.

Advertisement

Hide Ad
Home Farm, designed by Robert Adam in 1777 was converted to a visitor centre by The National Trust for Scotland. The Home Farm complex is built around a courtyard and contains a restaurant, shops, information and exhibition space.
To honour his services during the Second World War, General Eisenhower was gifted the very top room in the castle which was converted into a luxury suite.
The Eisenhower Apartments are located at the very top of the castle.
A walled garden on the grounds of the site was built over the home of Scipio Kennedy, a West African slave from the early 1700s who was granted freedom in 1725.

Advertisement

Hide Ad
Culzean Castle has been renovated during its time as a public attraction after an wealthy American left a large sum of money to the NTS for the restoration.
Visitors to the castle can see the former music room.
The caves dug into the rock were originally formed by medieval smugglers to bring into contraband goods across the Firth of Clyde from Ireland.
The grand structure of Culzean Castle meant it was chosen as the manor house on the fictional Hebridean island of Summerisle in 1973 horror classic The Wicker Man.