I am an optimist by nature so I am confident about 2011.
Virgin Money is in great shape and we've been able to ride the recession and downturn well with strong business performance borne out of strong cost control and serving our customers well.
We are looking to grow the business significantly and that will mean jobs in Scotland so good news to come.
2. Do you think the economy is out of the woods?
I don't think so. I would expect to see a slowdown in growth in early 2011 as VAT increases to 20 per cent and spending cuts are implemented.
3. What challenges will 2011 hold for your business?
The biggest challenge all new entrants have is the stranglehold the big five banks have on retail banking. Overcoming the significant barriers to effective competition in banking is something we will look to tackle head on.
4. What would help you overcome those challenges?
A level playing field!
The Treasury select committee, Independent Commission on Banking and the Office of Fair Trading are all examining the structure of banking in the interest of financial stability and consumers.
It is essential that real action is taken based on their work, otherwise this once in a lifetime opportunity for the banking industry to provide effective competition will be lost.
5. Was 2010 better or worse than you expected?
Virgin Money had a solid year in 2010 and we achieved what we set out to do.
This is in no small way down to the hard work and dedication of all the staff that do such a great job for us.
6. If you could introduce or change one government policy to help your business, what would it be?
A policy that increases competition in UK retail banking would benefit everyone.
7. Where would you like your business to be by the end of 2011?
I can sum that up with...happy customers, happy staff, happy shareholders and doing as much as we can to make a positive difference in the world as we do business. (For example helping fundraisers raise millions for good causes through
8. What's the one item or gadget you're going to buy in 2011?
An Apple television to watch content from my iPad on the big screen.
9. What's your new year's resolution?
To spend more time with my family.
10. Will Andy Murray win Wimbledon?
I think he will come very close...