Ruth Walker spends the weekend at Cowes
• Saturday, 10am Pack a picnic, roll out a rug and grab a spot on the grass between the Royal Yacht Squadron’s castle and canons on the seafront. Cowes has moved its annual regatta to make way for the Olympic Games. But the atmosphere promises to be even more electric as they host athletes fresh from the event. From your privileged spot at the Squadron you’ll be so close to the action you’ll hear the countdown from the race officers – there’s a race every five minutes from 10:30am-1pm, so make sure you get there early.
• 2pm Not satisfied with your ringside view? Make a few calls and arrange for a place on a spectator boat for the following day (www.aamcowesweek.co.uk).
• 11pm London club Mahiki hosts a pop-up in Cowes, so if you’re hoping to bump into a celeb, a medal-winning sailor brandishing their bling or even a royal, this is the place to be (www.mahiki.com).
• 3am When it comes time to hit the sack, your best bet is to take a house for the week. Many residents rent out their homes – see the Cowes Week website.
• Sunday, 9am Hungry (or hungover) sailors slip into the Well Bread Bakery and Cafe (53-54 High Street) for a stomach-lining feast of artisan bread (try the turmeric and cumin variety).
• 10am No sailing experience? No matter. Join a professionally skippered boat through the Rock Up and Race programme. See event website for details.
• 6pm Cowes Parade and the crew enclosure at Shepards Wharf Marina hosts hundreds of bar and restaurant marquees, so drop in, pick up something to eat and take in the live music.
• Monday, 10am It’s time to go home. Hop onto the Red Jet passenger ferry (www.redfunnel.co.uk). Then there are direct flights from Southampton to Edinburgh and Glasgow with Flybe (www.flybe.com). Prices start from around £33 each way.
THE FACTS Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week runs from 11 to 18 August.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 6 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: South west