DCSIMG

Djokovic powers past Nadal to seize Italian Open

Italian skiing legend Alberto Tomba takes a selfie with Novak Djokovic after the Serb defeated Rafael Nadal in Rome. Picture: Getty

Italian skiing legend Alberto Tomba takes a selfie with Novak Djokovic after the Serb defeated Rafael Nadal in Rome. Picture: Getty

  • by EVE FODENS
 

Novak Djokovic laid down the gauntlet ahead of Roland Garros when he came from a set down to dismantle claycourt king Rafael Nadal in the Italian Open final yesterday.

The Serb’s 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 victory was his fourth successive victory over Nadal but only his fourth on clay in their 41-match head-to-head series dating back to 2006. After a slow start in which he twice dropped serve, Djokovic took control of the baseline rallies and finished the match with a flurry of precision groundstrokes that had Nadal reeling. “Beating Rafa on clay is definitely a confidence booster,” Djokovic, who claimed his third Rome title and the 44th of his career, told reporters.

“Let’s hope it’s something I can take into Roland Garros.” Beating Nadal in the French capital is a different proposition altogether but the way Djokovic managed to dominate the Spanish world No 1 augurs well for his chances of completing his career grand slam next month.

He has won eight of the last nine sets they have contested.

“It’s been a great week considering where I was a few weeks ago with the wrist injury,” said an emotional Djokovic, who was making his comeback in Rome after injuring himself in the Monte Carlo Masters last month and missing the Madrid Masters.

Seven-times Rome champion Nadal had spent ten hours on court reaching the final, including gruelling late-night wins over Gilles Simon and Andy Murray, and he looked powerless to stop Djokovic’s charge, although he did threaten a comeback in the decider when he broke back to 3-3.

Defeat for Nadal was his third on clay in a season for the first time in a decade and raised further questions about his form ahead of the French Open which starts on Sunday.

Nadal hinted that his heavy schedule in Rome had been a factor in his defeat. “Rome now is the past for me,” said Nadal. “I have to start thinking about Roland Garros next week, and if my chance of playing well in Paris wasn’t very high a few weeks ago, now I think that I have a better chance.”

Nadal has dominated in Rome over the last decade and looked in no mood to surrender his title, breaking twice to lead the first set 4-1, showing no sign of fatigue. Djokovic instantly broke back and then had a chance to level the set in game eight when he moved 0-40 ahead on Nadal’s serve only for the Mallorcan to fend off the attack and clinch the opener. Djokovic raced out of the blocks in the second set, breaking for a 2-0 lead with a rifled forehand winner and held for 3-0. Some forehand errors from the Djokovic racket allowed Nadal to battle back to 2-3 but a double fault gifted the world No.2 another break and this time there was no way back as the 41st meeting between the players went to a decider.

After breaking for 4-3, Djokovic rattled through his own service game in little more than a minute and then moved 15-40 ahead as Nadal served to stay alive. One match point went begging but Nadal wafted a groundstroke long on the next point to surrender his title.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

EDINBURGH
FESTIVALS
2014

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Let's Go!

No Thanks