Andy Murray says he would consider having Ivan Lendl as his coach again after splitting from Amélie Mauresmo on Monday.
Lendl was Murray’s coach from 2012 to 2014, a highly successful period including the Scot’s 2012 US Open title and Wimbledon triumph a year later, before they mutually agreed to go their separate ways.
After beating Mikhail Kukushkin 6-3, 6-3 to reach the third round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome yesterday, Murray was asked about reuniting with Lendl.
Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, he replied: “Sure, I’d certainly consider it. I had fantastic results working with Ivan.
“Both of us I think enjoyed it enough to at least consider that. Whether or not it’s something that can work I’m not sure, I’ll have to wait and see but I’m not against that idea at all.”
Murray is keen to get a new coach soon and wants to get the ball rolling after this tournament.
He added: “I’ll definitely do that when I’m finished here, just to get an idea and get things moving forward because, if not, we get into the French Open, it’s another couple of weeks and four or five weeks go past quick.
“Then you’re into the grass-court season and that’s obviously a pretty important and fairly stressful time of year too, so I’ll try and make some progress with that in the next week or two.”
Murray and Mauresmo confirmed the end of their near two-year partnership a day after the Scot lost to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Madrid Open.
Assistant coach Jamie Delgado and Great Britain Davis Cup captain Leon Smith were in Murray’s box for his clash with Kukushkin in the second round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia.
The two-time grand slam champion did not look overly comfortable in the early stages but his serve kept him out of trouble and he broke Kukushkin to lead 5-3 when the Kazakh missed an easy volley.
Murray moved ahead early in the second set and took his first match point after an hour and 24 minutes.
The Scot admitted he had found it difficult to adjust to the very different conditions from Madrid.
He said: “I served well. It’s tough to get much of a rhythm, it’s quite a breezy day. I didn’t feel that comfortable from the back of the court.”
Murray lost his world No 2 spot to Roger Federer on Monday but with a good run in Rome he would take it back in time for the French Open.
Murray will play Jeremy Chardy in the third round in Rome after the Frenchman beat Roberto Bautista Agut 7-6 (8-6), 6-4.
Johanna Konta claimed another top-ten scalp with victory over home favourite Roberta Vinci in the second round in Rome.
The British No 1 continued her remarkable season by seeing off the world No 7 6-0, 6-4.
Konta was exceptional in the opening set, dropping just seven points and outclassing last year’s US Open finalist.
Vinci stopped the rot after seven games and the second set was much more of a battle as a boisterous home crowd attempted to unsettle Konta, but the 24-year-old held her nerve superbly to serve out the victory after 73 minutes.
Heather Watson was unable to capitalise on a flying start in a 6-4, 6-2 loss to Barbora Strycova. The British No 2 won the opening four games against her Czech opponent but then lost 12 of the next 14 to slip to a second-round defeat.
It has nevertheless been a positive week for Watson, who came through two qualifying matches before defeating former French Open finalist Sara Errani in the first round.
Meanwhile, it was announced yesterday that Watson and Konta will both compete at the Aegon International in Eastbourne this summer.
Konta’s remarkable rise to 23rd in the world rankings began at Devonshire Park last season, when she beat Ekaterina Makarova and Garbine Muguruza on her way to the quarter-finals.
Watson also has pedigree at the tournament, which runs from 18-25 June, having reached the semi-finals in 2014.