DCSIMG

Joe Calzaghe urges Froch-Groves rematch

Howard Foster stops last months encounter between Carl Froch, right, and George Groves. Picture: PA

Howard Foster stops last months encounter between Carl Froch, right, and George Groves. Picture: PA

  • by NICK FREESTONE
 

FORMER world super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe has told Carl Froch he risks damaging his legacy if he fails to offer George Groves a rematch after their controversial duel in Manchester last month.

Calzaghe said he believed Groves was dominating the bout before referee Howard Foster brought it to an end midway through round nine as the 25-year-old sagged briefly under the weight of the champion’s punches.

Froch has so far refused to court talk of a return bout, insisting he would rather chase a rematch with widely regarded 12-stone number one Andre Ward.

Calzaghe, who resisted numerous call-outs by Froch as he edged towards unbeaten retirement in 2008, said: “I thought Carl was fortunate and I think he should give him a rematch.

“Carl’s a strong fighter and we know what he brings to the table but I thought he got schooled in that fight. He was losing it badly and I think as champion it is up to him to give Groves another chance.”

Froch, who was present at the BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards in Leeds on Sunday night along with Calzaghe and Groves, said he will not be rushed on any decision.

Froch said: “Everyone could see what was going to happen in that fight and the fact is I have nothing more to prove in a rematch. I was dominating the bout and it was becoming very one-sided. I will sit down with my promoter Eddie Hearn and discuss my options. I think I have a maximum of three more fights left in me and I am interested in trying to make a rematch with Ward.”

Meanwhile, Calzaghe said he had no regrets about retiring from the sport with a perfect 46-fight winning record after beating Roy Jones in November 2008, and had never given a comeback a second thought.

“I was never close to making a comeback,” added Calzaghe. “I knew before the Jones fight when I was injured all the time it would be my last fight and I feel blessed to have retired undefeated. Of course I miss the buzz but I’ve been retired for five years now, my kids are growing up and I’ve had five years of not being punched in the head. I’m more than happy watching other people fight.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page