Galbraith hoping it's third time lucky with Scotland

Share this article

DANNY GALBRAITH admitted today that he's delighted to be back in the Scotland set up after being handed a late call up to the Under-21s squad by Billy Stark.

But the Hibs midfielder is hoping for better luck this time around after not once, but twice, suffering serious injuries whilst on international duty.

Galbraith was only 16 when he was brought into the Under-17s set-up back in 2007 but never had the chance to fulfil his potential after an ankle injury he sustained on duty in Armenia.

Unbelievably, he followed that up just a few months later when he injured his knee while playing in Germany during the elite or second round of qualifiers for the Under-17s European Championships.

Galbraith and co were due to take on Germany, Republic of Ireland and Greece in that round robin tournament, only for the midfielder to be ruled out after just the first game.

Although he returned to Manchester United on both occasions and managed to play through the pain barrier, he was later to suffer the consequences, requiring two operations in the summer to try to rectify the damage.

Galbraith recalled: "It's been a while since I was last involved for Scotland, the last time I was called up was for the Under 17s, and that was when I suffered the injuries that kept me out for such a long time when I was at Manchester United.

"I'm just hoping that it doesn't happen this time around, Manchester United weren't too happy back then and Colin Calderwood was laughing when I left, telling me to make sure that I didn't get injured again.

"The last time I would have played for Scotland would have been in Germany when we played qualifiers, we were due to play Ireland, Germany and Greece, but I injured my knee in the first game.

"The time before that we were playing in Armenia and I did my ankle. When I went back to Manchester United we were still in the Youth Cup and I was desperate to be involved, I didn't want to lose my place, so I tried to play through it. I knew that there was something wrong.

"That would have been around October time and I managed to keep going, then I suffered the knee injury in Germany and, again, I came back and it was the same thing. We were still in the cup and I just kept going.

"That summer I eventually broke down and I needed two operations.

"With hindsight, I won't be doing that kind of thing again because it kept me out for a long time, but back then I thought I was doing the right thing for my career.

"Obviously that wasn't great for me, but you can't look back on these things, you've just got to take the positive things when they come along and enjoy it as much as possible."

Back to the top of the page