Wallace is Albion braveheart

Share this article

REDPATH ALBION SC goalkeeper, Darren Wallace, chose the Lothian and Edinburgh Amateur FA league clash with Edinburgh Rose at Duddingston Playing Fields to produce one of the most astonishing displays I have seen in amateur football.

Wallace's heroics in the Redpath Albion goal were not enough to prevent his team going down 2-0 but the final scoreline could have been in double figures if it had not been for Wallace.

Home team spokesman, Les Woolward, said: "The Redpath Albion goalkeeper was out of this world. One save in the first half, low down to his right, was frankly, unbelievable. He was almost unbeatable!"

Wallace had his opponents gasping with frustration as time and time again he produced wonderful saves to keep the score down to 1-0 at the halfway stage.

With play confined in the first stage of the game in and around the Redpath Albion goalmouth, the shots rained in on Wallace and it was not until the 31st minute before he had to pick the ball out of the back of the net.

It was the very good Edinburgh Rose No.4, Derek Ross, who eventually produced a shot that managed to elude Wallace and land in the back of the net after another prolonged assault on the visitors' goal.

It was still 1-0 at the break, however, and all the talk on the sidelines during the interval was about the Redpath goalie and his defiance against all the odds.

To be fair, Wallace was given tremendous help by his defensive colleagues, with Kevin Ross also in outstanding form.

At the opposite end of the pitch in the first half, Edinburgh Rose keeper, Scott Whigham, was lucky if he touched the ball more than three times as he stood almost as a spectator and watched the heroic Wallace launch himself across his goal to deny the home side the goals their play deserved.

Whigham, however, had to show his alertness in the second half, with Redpath threatening to snatch an unlikely equaliser.

Gary Kerr went very close on three separate occasions to scoring for Redpath Albion and Whigham, too, showed how good a keeper he is with two excellent diving saves to knock shots away for corners, including one net-bound effort from Sean Anderson and another from Chris Malone which just skimmed the crossbar. It was that close to the visiting team getting back to all square but the incessant attacks on Wallace's goal continued, with the keeper producing even more breathtaking saves, frustrating Derek Ross, Steven Livingston and Jamie Lauder what looked like certain goals.

With Ross and his defensive colleagues standing up to the Edinburgh Rose siege, it appeared that one goal would be enough to claim all three points for the home side, until a great drive from Livingston took a deflection off a defender and the ball crashed into the back of the Redpath net to give the home side some breathing space at 2-0.

The final scoreline may give the impression that it was a close game, but the fact that only two goals was scored was down to the Redpath Albion goalkeeper. It was truly magnificent to see Wallace in action.

A relieved Les Woolward added: "They [Redpath Albion] had several chances to score in the second half, too. But we should have scored ten goals, easily, if it had not been for their keeper!"

Edinburgh Rose: Scott Whigham, Owen Maxwell, Scott Latto, Derek Ross, Derek Forbes, David Fellenger, Chris Malone, Fraser Jeffrey, Steve Livingston, Scott Brown, Jamie Lauder, Greg Irvine, Colin McGhee, Gary Simkin.

Redpath Albion: Darren Wallace, Thomas Burnett, Rorie Cowan, Kevin Ross, Richard Irvine, Chris O'Brien, Sean Rayment, David Stevenson, Gary Kerr, John Barr, Sean Anderson.

Referee: Jim Millar.

Elsewhere in the L&EAFA, Redhall Star beat Stenhouse Athletic 3-2 in extra time in a third round tie in the Bathroom Planet East of Scotland Cup while Premier Division outfit, Blackridge, crashed 4-1 in extra time, away to the very good Doune Castle in the quarter-final of this prestigious cup event.

Current champions of the E&LAFA Premier Division, Uphall Station, beat Steins Thistle on penalties in their quarter-final clash in the East Cup, after the sides were locked at 0-0 at the end of extra time.

Uphall are bidding for their third Premier title in a row this season and the team from Livingston are also the only side from this huge association still left in the Scottish Amateur Cup.