Rangers signings able to play despite embargo

Share this article
0
Have your say

THE Scottish Football Association and the Scottish Football League have confirmed that Rangers’ new signings will be able to play for the club in league and cup ties in August – even though the transfer embargo placed on the club means that they can’t be registered until September 1.

Former Queen of the South striker Nicky Clark yesterday joined Dundee United forward Jon Daly, Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law and Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell in signing a pre-contract deal at Ibrox.

And the good news for manager Ally McCoist is that all four can take part in all of the club’s pre-season friendlies.

“The players can’t be registered with us until September, but they can appear in as many challenge matches as they like,” said Sandy Bryson at the SFA’s Registration Department.

However, Rangers will only be able to use two of their new boys at a time once the competitive games start.

“Like everyone else, Rangers will be able to use unregistered players as trialists on three occasions,” said the SFL’s Anton Fagan. “Our season starts with the first round of the Ramsdens Cup and two trialists are allowed in that tie. The clubs asked for that to be introduced last year because it’s so early in the season.

“They will also be able to field them in league fixtures, although the cup tie would count as one of those three appearances.

“If they were a substitute that would also count, even if they didn’t come on.

“However, no trialists are allowed in the League Cup, the first round of which takes place in August.”

Bryson also pointed out that any foreign signings will be banned from playing until September.

“As a result of the embargo, we cannot request international clearance for players from elsewhere,” he said.

“The trialist rule only applies to footballers who have already been registered in this country.”