Rangers manager brands Villa’s Lescott claims ‘nonsense’

Joleon Lescott's proposed move to Rangers fell through. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire
Joleon Lescott's proposed move to Rangers fell through. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire
Share this article
0
Have your say

Rangers manager Mark Warburton last night rubbished claims from Aston Villa owner Dr Tony Xai that Joleon Lescott’s move to the Ibrox club collapsed on Friday over financial arrangements or a failed medical.

With the medical angle still being reported in some quarters yesterday morning, Xai took to Twitter to maintain that “Lescott didn’t feel happy with personal term missed, which the boss promised” as the reason for the former England centre-back not signing a two-year deal following a medical in Glasgow. However, following his side’s last-gasp 2-1 win over Motherwell, a clearly-narked Warburton denounced Villa’s version of events over 34-year-old Lescott in unequivocal fashion.

“Let me be really clear on this, it’s absolute nonsense,” Warburton said. “The personal terms were all agreed, it’s nothing to do with that. The player decided to keep his family in Manchester. He’s well settled with three young children, it’s absolute nonsense to say anything other than that.

“The fact he was up here tells you we were agreed and there wasn’t a problem and it was really a big decision on the player’s part. I understand that. Three young children, it’s a huge decision.”

Warburton revealed that Philippe Senderos, understood to be the defensive fall-back option to Lescott, will be back at Rangers Training Centre this morning, after spending the last week on trial there. The 31-year-old former Arsenal man will be joined by the club’s tenth signing of the season after 28-year-old striker Joe Garner signed on from Preston North End in a deal believed to be worth 
£1.8 million.

“It’s great to get it over the line and now I’m looking forward to getting going,” the player said.