Kilmarnock to rein in attack for future Old Firm clashes

Lee Clark saw his side comfortably beaten by Rangers on Saturday. Picture: SNS

Lee Clark saw his side comfortably beaten by Rangers on Saturday. Picture: SNS

4
Have your say

Kilmarnock boss Lee Clark admits he will rein in his attacking instincts next time his side take on the Old Firm.

Click here for the latest results, fixtures and stats>>>

The Rugby Park boss saw his side go down without a fight against Rangers on Saturday as they lost 3-0 at Ibrox.

He had been hoping to build on last Wednesday’s impressive win over Hearts as he named an attacking line-up, with Souleymane Coulibaly and Jordan Jones looking to threaten from out wide.

But with both men starved of possession, Clark’s side instead put in the same kind of tame display which saw them ship six goals at Celtic Park earlier this campaign.

And now the former Blackpool and Birmingham boss says he will not make the same mistake again.

The Killie boss, whose side face Hamilton on Saturday before Celtic visit Rugby Park on November 18, told Press Association Sport: “It was a game too much after Hearts. We had expended too much energy.

“I did debate all the way up to kick-off about whether to make one or two changes to freshen the team up but I want the players to know if they play well they keep their place.

“But looking back on the two games against the Old Firm away from home, I’ve asked myself whether we have left ourselves a bit too open.

“We have gone without attack-minded players but because they haven’t had much of the ball, they haven’t been able to make a big impact.

“When we produced our best performance of the season in the draw at home to Rangers back in August we went with Steven Smith at left-back, Greg Taylor at left midfield and Luke Hendrie at right back - lads who will be a bit more diligent with their defensive work.

“Souleymane and Jordan will work hard but at the end of the day they are attack-minded players and because they did not see the ball it has cost us.

“So maybe next time we go to these venues we may have to go a bit more pragmatic.

“Aberdeen did that against Celtic after leaving out guys like Adam Rooney and James Maddison. So if the team that are considered the second or third best in the league are doing it then maybe we should take it on board too.

“I’d love to go take these teams on toe-to-toe but the reality is it’s very difficult.”

Keep up to date with all our sport news on The Scotsman’s Sport page on Facebook

READ MORE - Rumour Mill: Celtic out ‘to do the impossible’ | Kingsley over Wallace | SPFL striker makes shock exit

Back to the top of the page