BuyHibs reject talks with Easter Road board

BuyHibs hopes to fund a takeover in the same way as the Foundation of Hearts did at Tynecastle. Picture: Jane Barlow

BuyHibs hopes to fund a takeover in the same way as the Foundation of Hearts did at Tynecastle. Picture: Jane Barlow

Share this article
23
Have your say

THE supporters group BuyHibs has officially turned down the opportunity to meet with directors of the club and have called on owner Sir Tom Farmer to agree to talks.

The movement, which is backed by former players Paul Kane and Pat Stanton, is targeting a fan-led takeover of the Edinburgh team after claiming the club was “failing on and off the pitch”.

The current Hibs board of directors, led by non-executive chairman Rod Petrie and chief executive Leeann Dempster, offered to hold discussions with BuyHibs regarding the group’s prospective plans for the club.

However, that invitation has been formally declined, with the group adamant that face-to-face talks with Farmer is the only way to ascertain his valuation of the club and facilitate real change at Hibs.

CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN

Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning

• You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

“On our launch day we sent letters to Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie asking for a meeting with the owners,” a spokesperson for BuyHibs confirmed.

“BuyHibs have received an invitation to meet the directors of Hibernian. However, we have declined this invitation. We feel only the current owners can engage in discussions about the future of our club.

“We have again asked for the owners to enter positive dialogue in order that positive change can be forthcoming that will provide an opportunity for new investment into the club, protect the club’s assets for the future generations and provide a legacy for Sir Tom Farmer.”

Farmer, the former Kwik-Fit tycoon, owns 90 per cent of Hibs’ parent company HFC Holdings Ltd, with Rod Petrie owning the remaining 10 per cent.

BuyHibs hopes to fund a takeover in the same way as the Foundation of Hearts did at Tynecastle, with individual fans pledging a monthly amount and business figures committing a lump sum.

SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS

• Download your free 30-day trial for our iPad, Android and Kindle apps

Keep up to date with all aspects of Scottish life with The Scotsman iPhone app, completely free to download and use

Back to the top of the page