Rangers manager Ally McCoist believes his side have put the postponement of their match with Elgin behind them ahead of this weekend’s William Hill Scottish Cup fourth-round clash with the same opponents.
Elgin were fined £25,000 after the Irn-Bru Third Division match, scheduled for Sunday, was called off on Saturday due to what the Scottish Football League described as “a substantial oversale of tickets”, with around 1,100 extra tickets reportedly sold on top of the 4,520 capacity of Borough Briggs.
McCoist said on www.rangers.co.uk: “The weekend was a disappointment but we are over it and looking forward to the next challenge. We now have to look ahead to the home game in the cup and against the same opposition.”
Rangers’ prospects could receive a boost, with striker Francisco Sandaza closing in on a return from a fractured cheekbone sustained against Motherwell in September. Former Dundee United and St Johnstone forward Sandaza was expected to be out until the end of the year after requiring facial reconstruction and the insertion of a plate.
It had been feared at one stage he could lose an eye. But the Spaniard scored in a successful return in a 3-1 reserve win over Livingston at Murray Park on Tuesday.
Reserve team boss Tommy Wilson said: “I would think with the goal threat he carries and his experience he’ll absolutely be in contention to be in the squad for the Elgin game.”