CARDIFF CITY have increased their offer for Celtic star Victor Wanyama after having their initial approach rebuffed by the Parkhead club.
The Premiership side are reported to have increased their initial £10m bid and have offered personal terms to the Kenyan international which are in line with his expectations.
Southampton had a £12m offer accepted by Celtic however the 22-year-old was unable to agree personal terms.
Wanyama, who joined Celtic from Belgian side Germinal Beerschot for less than £1m two years ago, has one year left on his contract.
The Mail reports this morning that an informal agreement has been agreed between Cardiff and Wanyama’s agents over the player’s pay.
Neil Lennon accused Victor Wanyama’s representatives of being “economical with the truth” in the impasse over his proposed £12.5 million move to Southampton but said he still expects the midfielder to leave Celtic before the start of the season.
Celtic responded angrily on Tuesday night to criticism from one of Wanyama’s agents, Ivan Modia, who claimed the 21-year-old Kenyan international had gone two years without a pay rise at the Scottish champions and that his client had been refused permission to join Queen’s Park Rangers last year.
He said: “There is a bit of mud-slinging going on which we feel is unnecessary,” said Lennon. “We have done nothing wrong apart from accept a bid from a club for a player we value very highly.
“My own gut feeling is that a deal will get done somewhere along the line. He is our player. One we don’t want him to go. Two, if he is going to go then the club has to match our valuation of the player.”
Parkhead captain Scott Brown said Wanyama leaving would be a huge loss to the club.
“Victor would be a huge loss if he went. But that’s up to the board, Victor and his agent.”