Rumour Mill: Rangers bid for Scott Allan | Fifa arrests

Share this article
503
Have your say

RANGERS eye bid for Hibs star Scott Allan; six senior Fifa officials are arrested in Zurich; Nadir Ciftci has two-week wait to learn his fate from the SFA, plus more news and gossip in Wednesday’s Rumour Mill

Rangers set for Scott Allan swoop

Scott Allan in action for Hibs. Picture: John Devlin

Scott Allan in action for Hibs. Picture: John Devlin

Rangers are reportedly lining up a summer bid for Hibernian star Scott Allan.

The 23-year-old Hibs playmaker has been highlighted as a key signing for the Ibrox side regardless of who takes over the reins next season.

Hibs have suggested that they would want at least £500,000 for Allan but are reportedly keen to keep the player, who still has a year on his contract at Easter Road. (The Scottish Sun)

Fifa officials arrested in Switzerland

Six Fifa officials have been arrested by plain clothes officers in dawn raids in Switzerland.

It is understood that Fifa vice-president Jeffrey Webb is one of those arrested in suspicion of bribery and corruption following an FBI investigation in the US.

The arrests were made early this morning in Zurich where Fifa delegates are gathered ahead of the election of a new Fifa president. (The Scotsman)

Nadir Ciftci faces two-week wait to hear from SFA

Dundee United striker Nadir Ciftci, who is at the centre of a storm surrounding an incident on the pitch at last weekend’s Dundee derby, will have to wait two weeks before learning his fate from the SFA.

The SFA investigation into Ciftci’s alleged biting of Dundee’s Jim McAlister will reportedly not be fast-tracked in order to allow all parties time to submit statements.

Compliance officer Tony McGlennan has already opened a probe into the incident which could see the Turkish hitman sidelined with a lengthy ban.

McGlennan will first ask for statements from players as well as taking time to look at the photographic and video evidence.

An SFA source reportedly said: “An SFA source said last night: “There will be no quick resolution to this one and no fast-tracking. It will be similar to the case earlier this season involving Celtic’s Aleksandar Tonev in terms of gathering evidence which means it will take a least a fortnight before a decision is made.” (Daily Record)

Hartson: Celtic should still target Ciftci

Former Celtic star John Hartson has said the Parkhead side should not be put off bidding for Nadir Ciftci in the wake of the biting incident at Sunday’s Tayside derby.

Hartson, who himself was involved in an infamous incident with Eyal Berkovic at West Ham, voiced his disapproval of Ciftci’s alleged actions on the pitch but has said that the fracas should not dampen the determination of Celtic gaffer Ronny Deila to make a move for Ciftci this summer. (The Scotsman)

“Bitegate” could cost United millions

The biting incident involving Nadir Ciftci could prove costly for Dundee United who have said they will stand by the player.

In a statement issued by United, the club said: “Dundee United FC are fully supportive of Nadir Ciftci in relation to allegations reportedly made against him by a Dundee player in the 3-0 derby win on Sunday at Tannadice.”

Although Tannadice bosses are reportedly reluctant to let the player go at the end of his contract next June, if found guilty, Ciftci will be facing a lengthy ban which could damage his chances of a summer move.

Celtic have had their eye on the Turkish striker as have several English clubs, including Sunderland and Rotherham United. (Evening Telegraph)

Rangers board agree showdown with Mike Ashley

Ibrox bosses have called a crunch general meeting for 12 June - their third in six months - where they plan to discuss a loan made by Mike Ashley and put a rival proposition to the billionaire.

The Sports Direct owner has called for the repayment of a £5 million personal loan he made to the club in January which gives him control over the Rangers branding.

The King regime has hit back at the tycoon by reportedly proposing a new resolution which would see them given backing to renegotiate their contracts with Sports Direct. (The Scotsman)

Partick Thistle target Kyle Letheren

Free agent Kyle Letheren is being eyed for a move to Partick Thistle after leaving Dundee.

The Maryhill outfit are looking for a replacement keeper for Scott Fox who is preparing to move on from the club after reportedly rejecting a new deal.

As well as Partick, the Welshman is also reportedly being courted by clubs from Greece and Scandinavia. (Daily Record)

Back to the top of the page