Anthony Stokes told he has no Celtic future

19
Have your say

CELTIC striker Anthony Stokes has been told he has no future at Parkhead, following a meeting with Ronny Deila and John Collins.

Stokes, signed from Hibs for around £1 million in 2010, has scored 76 goals in 191 matches for Celtic, but has found himself down the pecking order thanks to the form of Leigh Griffiths and the arrival of Nadir Ciftci.

The arrival of Nadir Ciftci and the form of Leigh Griffiths has pushed Anthony Stokes down the pecking order. Picture: Gordon Fraser

The arrival of Nadir Ciftci and the form of Leigh Griffiths has pushed Anthony Stokes down the pecking order. Picture: Gordon Fraser

The Hoops have also been linked with Club Brugge striker Tom De Sutter, Den Haag forward Michiel Kramer and a host of other attackers, seemingly signalling that Stokes’ time in Glasgow is at an end.

Stokes, 27, was left out of the squad that defeated Qarabag 1-0 at Parkhead earlier this week, with Deila saying: “Anthony was left out because we found others better, so he has to fight to get back into the team again.

“I should hope he’s not happy as everyone should be angry if they don’t play but we’re a team with teamwork and you get what you deserve from how you play in training and matches.”

With Deila keen on trimming his squad to allow more academy players to come through, Dutch winger Derk Boerrigter could be the next to depart Celtic after admitting earlier this week that he doesn’t know what his future holds.

Anthony Stokes pictured at Lennoxtown on Friday. Picture: SNS

Anthony Stokes pictured at Lennoxtown on Friday. Picture: SNS

The Scotsman understands that Stokes is a target for Sheffield Wednesday, Hull and Wigan Athletic.

Wigan were also on the trail of Ciftci prior to his transfer to Celtic, and Stokes’ £1.5 million price tag is unlikely to put the Latics off.

Back to the top of the page