Cancer survivor Jordan Moore has revealed his anger after receiving a series of knock-backs from managers who claimed his health battles made him too much of a risk to sign.
The former Dundee United striker was twice hit with skin cancer before beating the disease. But the 22-year-old claims some clubs have been reluctant to offer him a deal in case he suffers a relapse.
In one instance, he was even told he would not be offered a deal because the coaches were worried about the reaction of supporters once they heard they had signed a former cancer victim.
“It’s ridiculous,” said Moore, who also had productive loan spells with Airdrie, Dunfermline and Queen’s Park during his Tannadice stay. “You’d be surprised by the amount of people who would phone from clubs down south interested in me but then pull out after finding out what I’d been through, saying things like ‘it’s too big a risk’.
“I had one former club in Scotland say to me, ‘We can’t sign the boy who had cancer. What would the fans think?’
“I don’t think this is a stigma I’ll be able to get rid of. I think I’ll always be the boy who had cancer.”
After overcoming the disease for a second time, Moore was given just a one per cent chance of resurrecting his playing career.
But he is refusing to give up. Released by United earlier this year, he moved to League of Ireland side Limerick in February to prove he can still handle the strains of the professional game.
He has now returned to Scotland to take part in PFA Scotland’s exit trials.
Moore is among more than 30 out-of-contract pros taking part in the exit trials at Clyde’s Broadwood Stadium.
They will receive two weeks’ worth of coaching ahead of a showcase match on Saturday, which will be attended by scouts from up and down the country.
Of the 36 players who took part last year, all but two were picked up by interested clubs.