Rumour Mill: Derek Llambias | McInnes denies Ibrox link

Derek McInnes says he is happy in Aberdeen and plans on going nowhere.  Picture: Ian Rutherford

Derek McInnes says he is happy in Aberdeen and plans on going nowhere. Picture: Ian Rutherford

348
Have your say

Derek Llambias appointed chief executive at Rangers; Derek McInnes shoots down Rangers rumours; Furious McCoist blanks Mark Hateley and more in Friday’s Rumour Mill

Derek Llambias appointed chief executive at Rangers

Derek Llambias has been appointed chief executive of Rangers. The Ibrox club confirmed the appointment in a statement to the London Stock Exchnage, it read: “Existing Board member Derek Llambias has been appointed Chief Executive Officer of Rangers with immediate effect. Derek joined the Board on 2 November 2014 as a non-executive director. In line with the cost cutting exercise announced on 12 November 2014, Mr Llambias’s remuneration will be significantly lower than previously offered for this position.

Additionally, David Somers will now revert to his previous role as non-executive Chairman.”

Commenting on the appointment, David Somers said “I am delighted that Derek has agreed to step up to the Chief Executive role. This is a successful outcome to the process, announced on 27 October 2014, which involved interviewing a number of high calibre candidates. Derek has impressed us with his grasp of the issues since joining the group and brings a wealth of experience, particularly from his time at Newcastle United, which we feel confident will be invaluable to Rangers.” (Scotsman)

Liverpool join chase for Virgil Van Dijk

The struggling Anfield club are desperate for new players to revitalise a season that has gone horribly wrong.

And, although much of the focus has been on the lack of goals scored, there is also concern about the number being conceded.

Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers is a certainty to splash the cash again when the transfer window opens.

There is speculation on Merseyside that Rodgers is keen on Van Dijk to help shore up his leaky defence, and the Liverpool manager knows a move for the Celt wouldn’t break the bank by Premier League standards.

And a quick hit by Liverpool early in January could head off a bid from the Emirates, with reports in London last night linking the Gunners with a move for the Dutch star.

Spurs are also keen to land the 23-year-old, and it now seems inevitable that, with such Premier League interest, the defender will move on next month. (Express)

Derek McInnes shoots down Rangers rumours

McInnes has been strongly linked with the Ibrox hotseat now McCoist has handed in his 12 months’ notice.

The 43-year-old has helped turn around the Dons’ fortunes and re-established himself as one of the country’s brightest young coaches.

But, while McInnes was at Ibrox between 1995 and 2000 and retains a soft spot for his boyhood heroes, the task of continuing the Aberdeen recovery is his only objective.

He said: “I’m really happy here and it’s unfair – there’s still a manager in place at that club, and he’s a friend of mine as well. I’ve no desire to leave Aberdeen at the minute.

“I’m really enjoying myself here and feel we’ve work to finish. There’s a lot to be said for being happy at your work and I’m extremely happy here.” (Express)

Furious Ally McCoist blanks Mark Hateley

Ally McCoist has blanked attempts by Mark Hateley to patch up their differences in the wake of allegations that the Englishman is trying to stab him in the back. Hateley has reacted in fury over stoires that he is working with the Rangers board to undermine McCoist. Hateley who sat with the Easdale brothers at Palmerston last Friday, just hours after McCoist handed in his resignation and began a 12-months notice period. Hateley is adamant he has done nothing wrong. He said: “I’m astonished, angered and hurt by claims that have been made in a newspaper this morning. I have tried to phone Alistair to explain to him this is simply untrue.” (Record)

St Mirren bid by Argentinian consortium

The Argentinians turned their attention to Saints after failing to secure a deal to buy a majority stake in Premiership rivals Motherwell, whom the Buddies entertain tomorrow afternoon.

One of the four men seen emerging from the meeting is thought to be Ricardo Pini.

Pini and his brother, Sebastian, who is also believed to have been at St Mirren Park, were previously involved with Chilean club Rangers de Talca.

Their group’s £560,000 purchase of the club in 2010 was ratified after two court cases and Talca was sold this year following the team’s relegation to Chile’s second tier.

Saints have been up for sale since September 2009 but the ruling consortium, including chairman Stewart Gilmour, has stated it will only sell if a deal is in the best interests of the club.

Director Bryan McAusland said: “They’re not the first people we’ve spoken to. We’ve had about 20 groups in over the last few years.

“There was no offer made. They have been in chatting to Motherwell recently but there’s nothing concrete as far as we’re concerned. I wish it was. The club needs change.” (Express)

Ayr United ‘super club’ plans

Property financier Brian Gilmour last night outlined a £45 million blueprint to make struggling Ayr United a Premiership force within six years. Glasgow based Gilmour is in talks to buy the club and if he succeeds will begin plans to build a new 10,000 seater stadium and entertainment village. (Mail)

Celtic to stand firm on Palace Kris Commons bid

Celtic will reject any “insulting” offer they may receive from Crystal Palace for Kris Commons in the January transfer window.

The London club, who signed Joe Ledley from Celtic in the last January window, have been linked with the 31-year-old goalscoring midfielder who is out of contract in the summer.

Talks have stalled on an extension to the player’s deal and Selhurst Park manager Neil ­Warnock is believed to be lining up a cut-price offer in next month’s transfer window.

A figure as low as £250,000 has been mentioned, but that will be rejected out of hand by Celtic, who could see last season’s top scorer leave for nothing at the end of the season.

A source said: “Under no circumstances, will Celtic be interested in selling Commons for an insulting figure. Crystal Palace paid £800,000 for Joe Ledley a year ago when he was coming to the end of his contract. (Scotsman)

Robbie Neilson: Hearts knew of Pallardo claims

Robbie Neilson has revealed that Hearts knew about the match-fixing allegations against Miguel Pallardo when they signed him earlier this year.

The head coach – who yesterday secured the services of Prince Buaben on a new, long-term contract – remains convinced of the Spanish midfielder’s innocence, and is confident that his form will not be affected by the case, which only came to light this week. (Scotsman)

Dani Osvaldo: Bring it on Celts

Inter Milan dangerman Dani Osvaldo last night goaded Celtic fans by urging them to crank up the volume when the Italian side arrive in Glasgow on Europa League duty.

The striker is adamant the hostile atmosphere will only inspire Inter against Ronny Deila’s side.

Osvaldo, currently on loan at the San Siro from Southampton, admits he knows all about the European experience at Celtic Park but it holds no fears for him.

He said: “They talk about their famous atmosphere but it will not intimidate me. If the Celtic fans make it hostile then I will feed off that – and will punish them.

“Celtic are a big club but I am sure that we will progress.” (Record)

Dundee United anger over Paton ‘spitting’ ban

Dundee United say they are “stunned” and “mystified” after Paul Paton was handed a two-match ban for spitting at Jonny Hayes – even though the Aberdeen winger backed his claims of innocence.

The Tannadice club immediately launched an appeal over the sanction imposed by a three-strong panel.

Paton fouled Hayes during the Dons’ 2-0 win at Tannadice last Saturday and the Irishman reacted angrily seconds later after Paton motioned his head slightly towards his grounded opponent. But Hayes later tweeted that Paton “never spat on me”, and also “to the SFA, I’d never want to see a fellow pro being accused or found guilty of something that never happened!” (Scotsman)

Mickael Antoine-Curier determined to head up attack

Mickael antoine-curier is determined to hit the goal trail to ensure he remains a permanent fixture at the head of the Accies attack.

The striker netted for the seventh time this term in spectacular fashion last weekend as his superb volley helped Hamilton to all three points against Dundee.

Victory over Paul Hartley’s side ended a frustrating recent run of form for the surprise package of the Premiership campaign so far.

He said: “I was really disappointed not to play against Partick in the cup.

“After that, I didn’t play against Aberdeen and I was upset. The manager gave me a call and said I would be starting against Dundee so hopefully that will keep me in the team and I can play well.

“I think that is seven goals in 14 starts and I am trying to be up there and score as many goals as I can.” (Times)

News in Brief:

• Liverpool are lining up Fabian Delph to replace Steven Gerrard. (Mirror)

• Mario Balotelli accepted a one match ban and a £25,000 fine for his social media post. (Mirror)

• Glasgow City have signed goalkeeper Megan Cunningham from Hamilton Accies (Scottishfitba.net)

SEE ALSO:

Alan Stubbs marks Hibs 7 out of 10 so far

Leigh Griffiths makes kind offer to burgled family

Kevin Kyle: Rangers’ fourth tier wages ‘laughable’

Back to the top of the page