The Rumour Mill: Thursday’s Scottish football news and gossip
Scotland face battle for Euro 2016 qualification, Levein on brink and Hearts hit with transfer embargo for failing to pay players.
Scotland face struggle to gain Euro 2016 entry
Scotland face a race against time if they are to make it into the 24 teams that automatically qualify for the Euro 2016 finals in France.
The national side’s current ranking means they would not automatically qualify and could even slip into the fourth pot in the qualification stages. (Sun)
Levein on the edge as SFA ponder next move
Scotland boss Craig Levein could be sacked in the next 48 hours following comments from Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan that he would have to answer for recent poor results.
• Scotland currently sit bottom of their World Cup qualifying group after their opening four matches with qualification to Brazil a near impossibility. (Various)
• Christopher Berra has backed Craig Levein and says Scotland are moving in the right direction
Hearts hit with transfer embargo for failing to pay wages
The Tynecastle club have been placed under an indefinite player registration embargo by the SPL after failing to pay management and several players on time for the second month in a row. (Scotsman)
Green denies bringing in Whyte
Rangers chief executive Charles Green has dismissed claims made by former club owner Craig Whyte that he ushered in the Yorkshire businessman’s consortium to the Ibrox club. (Scotsman)
• Whyte also claims in an interview with the BBC that Duff & Phelps were aware of the deal he had struck with Ticketus to buy the club before they were appointed administrators
• Creditors of ‘Oldco’ Rangers voted yesterday to liquidate the club’s assets and end the administration period
Watt eyes Barcelona slot
Celtic striker Tony Watt hopes a good performance against St Mirren this weekend will put him in contention for a starting spot against Catalan giants Barcelona in the Champions League next week.
The 18-year-old has impressed this season after scoring doubles against Motherwell and Inverness. (Various)
• Rangers have appointed Imran Ahmad as a commercial director with Craig Mather given a sports development role
• David Goodwillie has cut short his loan spell at Crystal Palace and returned to Blackburn after failing to settle in London
• Bristol City have resigned Middlesbrough defender Stephen McManus on a 93-day emergency loan subjecto approval
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Sunday 26 May 2013
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 8 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: South