CARLOS Cuellar eyes a return to Rangers, Roy Keane has the backing of Dundee’s managers, and one candidate for the Celtic manager’s job is ruled out, plus more Scottish football news in Saturday’s Rumour Mill
Cuellar wants return to Rangers
FORMER Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar is reportedly keen to return to Ibrox “sooner rather than later”..
Cuellar, currently a free agent after leaving Sunderland, told The Sun: “One of my main targets... is to get back to Rangers as soon as possible. The club is in my heart.
“I feel I owe something to the Rangers supporters because I left after only one season. The year I did spend there was the best of my professional career.” (Sun)
Roy Keane Celtic move backed by Hartley
DUNDEE boss Paul Hartley believes that former Manchester United captain Roy Keane would be a major success at Celtic.
Hartley said: “I played against Roy Keane when he was at Celtic and I was at Hearts and he was a top-drawer operator. Keane is a strong character and a formidable opponent... and I am sure as a manager he would be the same.
“Celtic need a strong character just like Neil Lennon and Keane fits that bill. If Celtic do go down that line and hire Keane then it will be a good and strong appointment.”
Rangers fans vow to keep pressure on board
THE leader of a major Rangers fan group has vowed to continue to put pressure on the Ibrox board, after revealing that over 7,000 fans have signed an online petition calling for guarantees over the future of the club’s stadium.
Sons of Struth boss Craig Houston said: “There are just over 7000 signatures but it is still running online so it will continue to creep up.
“This is just to let the board know that even though the season is finished we are not going away. If we need to spend our summer organising activities to put our point across that’s what we will do.” (Record)
Wieghorst out of Celtic running
FORMER Celtic midfielder Morten Wieghorst has signed up as the new manager at Danish side AGF Aarhus.
The 43-year-old has signed a three-year-deal with the side, having been linked with the vacant manager’s post at Celtic earlier this week.
Wieghorst had been out of work since being sacked as Swansea assistant manager when Michael Laudrup was removed from his post at the Liberty Stadium. Laudrup has also been linked with the Parkhead post. (Sun)
Proclaimers star wants change at Hibs
CHARLIE Reid, one half of The Proclaimers, has given his backing to the campaign to remove Rod Petrie from his post at Easter Road, claiming that Hibs have “taken their eye off the ball” in their player recruitment.
Reid said: “It’s sad it’s come to this, but not surprising. Anyone who has watched Hibs in the last few years can see the decline in the standards.
“For all the good that’s been done in terms of spending on infrastructure, the stadium and the training facility... they have taken their eye off the ball in terms of the quality of football player. Whatever you think of Petrie or the management team, it’s the declining quality of football player that has ultimately led us to relegation.” (Scotsman)
Ryan Stevenson out at Hearts
MIDFIELDER Ryan Stevenson has left Hearts for a second time.
The 29-year-old, who agreed a pay cut after the club went into administration last summer, left Tynecastle after turning down calls for a further reduction in his wages.
Hearts said in a statement: “We would like to thank Ryan for his contribution as a Hearts player. We wish him all the best in his future career.” (Scotsman)