DCSIMG

Kris Commons opens door on Scotland return

Kris Commons in action for Scotland for Scotland against Estonia in 2012. Picture: SNS

Kris Commons in action for Scotland for Scotland against Estonia in 2012. Picture: SNS

  • by CRAIG FORBES AND IAIN COLLIN
 

Celtic midfielder Kris Commons has opened the door to a possible return to the Scotland national team.

Commons ended his international career in May to focus on his family life and his club football with Celtic. But he says he would not rule out making a dramatic U-turn and featuring again for Gordon Strachan’s side.

Commons told the BBC Scotland website last night: “I never left on bad terms. If there was an opportunity to return in the near future where I felt I could offer something to Scotland I’d certainly think about it.

“I always keep an eye on the results and who’s playing. I always wish our boys the best. But at this moment I’m just concentrating being the best I can be for Celtic.

“A lot of people do have second thoughts, and I think when I am playing the way I am, I could offer something.

“I’m 30 years old now and I think that the little time I do get to spend with my family, and go on holiday and stuff like that, it’s benefited me more and I am putting in better performances week in, week out for Celtic.”

Scotland will wrap up their World Cup qualifying campaign when they entertain Croatia at Hampden next Tuesday, but Commons’ possible change of heart will give Strachan an encouraging option as he looks ahead to the campaign to reach Euro 2016 in France.

Meanwhile, former Scotland captain Graeme Souness has waded into the debate over England’s goalkeeping position and insisted Joe Hart should be dropped – but believes it is John Ruddy and not Fraser Forster who should take his place.

There has been a growing clamour for Forster to replace Hart as England’s number one for the vital World Cup qualifiers with Montenegro on Friday and Poland next Tuesday.

Forster’s outstanding display in Celtic’s 1-0 defeat by Barcelona last week contrasted wildly with mistakes made by Manchester City’s Hart in recent times.

England manager Roy Hodgson has pledged to stand by Hart, accepting he is currently not in a “good moment” but claiming he still “believes” in the 26-year-old, whom he maintains is still his number one.

However, Souness is adamant Hart needs to be left out for his own good, and said: “Joe Hart is the perfect example of an over-hyped England player and another I wouldn’t pick on current form. A year ago, some pundits were talking of him being the best goalkeeper in the world.

“Greatness comes with longevity. It comes with ten seasons under your belt as a top performer at the highest level. We attach greatness too readily.

“Hart is a young man with enormous potential but, at the moment, after his mistakes against Aston Villa and Bayern Munich, he is wondering where his next howler will come from and should be taken out of the firing line for his own good.”

In his Sunday newspaper column, the former Rangers player-manager added: “I am a fan of John Ruddy at Norwich. Although he has only one cap, compared to Hart’s 35, he will be stronger mentally this week.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page