Dunfermline scoop draw as door opens financially


DUNFERMLINE showed at the weekend that they are determined to keep fighting on and off the park as they battled back to gain a 1-1 draw at Raith Rovers and also announced fresh hope that they can battle back from the brink of a financial abyss.

Dunfermline face a winding-up order from HMRC after the non-payment of a tax bill, but their Fife neighbours could not offer any sympathy as they are still a few points short of safety and Raith went ahead on 39 minutes. A high ball into the Dunfermline box forced Andy Dowie into a mistake and Greig Spence capitalised by netting from close range.However, the East End Park side rallied and forced a leveller 12 minutes into the second-half when Andy Geggan converted a Ryan Wallace knock-down.

Dunfermline manager Jim Jefferies said: “From what I have been told a financial door has been opened slightly to reveal a light at the end of the tunnel. We will know more on Tuesday and the Steering Group set up to help will know more once they do their due diligence of the club.”

As for affairs on the pitch, Jefferies said: “The players showed a will and a determination to get something and I am proud of them for that.”

Raith manager Grant Murray said: “You feel for Dunfermline and their players, but we had to make up for a 
disappointing display against Livingston last weekend and I thought we did that. Both sides put on a great game and deserve credit for it.”

While Dunfermline’s title challenge is long gone, both leaders Morton and Partick Thistle won again, with 
the Greenock side defeating hosts 
Dumbarton 3-0 and the Jags seeing off Hamilton 2-0.

Michael Tidser’s left-footed shot from nearly 30 yards broke the deadlock on 32 minutes at the Bet Butler Stadium and the Cappielow side were well in command six minutes later when 
Martin Hardie dived to head home a Kevin Rutkiewicz chipped pass. The third goal came nine minutes from time with a deep cross from Thomas O’Ware being unselfishly headed back across goal by Colin McMenamin and Peter MacDonald nodding home.

Thistle took the lead at New Douglas Park just before half-time when a Ross Forbes corner was put over the line by a combination of Jags defender Conrad Balatoni and Hamilton’s Stevie May with Balatoni later admitting that it was May who got the last touch. There was no doubt that Christie Elliot was the scorer of the second goal with six minutes left as he netted with a fine curling shot from 20 yards out.

Cowdenbeath’s Craig Moore struck with two minutes left to earn the Fifers a 3-2 win over Airdrie to send the Blue Brazil ten points clear of the Diamonds at the foot of the table.

Airdrie striker Jordan Moore opened the scoring on 12 minutes, but Marc McKenzie levelled within 60 seconds and the score remained tied until midway through the second-half when Greg Stewart tapped the Central Park side ahead. Jordan Kirkpatrick levelled from 20 yards out with eight minutes remaining, but Moore struck late on to send Airdrie closer to the drop.

The Livingston and Falkirk match was a late casualty of the snow that started falling just after lunchtime on Saturday.




Back to the top of the page