The Rumour Mill: Tuesday’s football transfer news and gossip
Rangers rout East Fife, McCoist completes treble of signings and Celtic express concerns over Helsinki’s plastic pitch.
New Rangers mark return to Ibrox with victory
New signing Dean Shiels was amongst the scorers last night during Rangers 4 - 0 League Cup victory over East Fife. A crowd of just over 38,000 turned out to watch Ally McCoist’s side play their first match at Ibrox since liquidation in the summer. (Various)
Rangers make three additions to squad
Ally McCoist has made three more additions to his Rangers squad as they aim for promotion out of the Third Division.
• Former St Johnstone striker Fran Sandaza has penned a two-year deal with the Ibrox club
• Ex-Hearts forward Kevin Kyle has signed a one-year contract
• Brazilian defender Emilson Cribari , 32, has signed a two-year deal after impressing on trial
Celtic take narrow advantage to Helsinki
Celtic manager Neil Lennon has raised concerns over HJK Helskinki’s plastic pitch ahead of his side’s Champions League qualifier tonight.
The Parkhead boss, who takes a slender 2 - 1 lead to Finland, says acrylic pitches should be banned but added that his side will not use the surface as an excuse should they crash out of Europe. (Scotsman)
Dundee United face fine for disturbances
The Tannadice club face a hefty fine after trouble broke out during their home clash with Dinamo Moscow in the Europa League.
The club face a rap from UEFA after a fan ran onto the pitch to celebrate Willo Flood’s first half opener and for fighting which broke out between Dinamo and United supporters. (Express)
Twitter abuse of Langfield slammed
Ross County manager Derek Adams has slammed the Twitter users who fired abuse at Aberdeen keeper Jamie Langfield following his unforced error against Celtic.
Langfield apologised for the error but was met with derogatory messages in relation to brain surgery he underwent last year. (Record)
Sunderland eye £12m deal for Fletcher
Martin O’Neill is hopeful that he can seal a £12m deal that would see Scotland cap Steven Fletcher move to Tyneside this week.
Wolves have accepted the offer for Fletcher with personal terms the only stumbling block. (Mail)
• Scotland defender Alan Hutton has been told by Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert that his services are no longer required
• Former Celtic striker Mark Burchill has made the switch to Thai side Esan United
• Willie Collum has been appointed as referee for the first Edinburgh Derby of the season
• Former Hibs striker Garry O’Connor has apologised to supporters of Russian club FC Tom Tmsk after he received a red card on his debut
• Dunfermline have completed the signing of veteran striker Craig Dargo
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east