Rangers boardroom eyes former SFL boss David Longmuir to take over as Ibrox chief executive; Rangers fans back Paul Murray and Jim McColl bid; Neil Lennon admits keeping Fraser Forster may be ‘impossible’; Andy Goram accuses Roy Keane of showing no respect, plus all the rest of today’s football news and gossip
Former Rangers director Paul Murray and businessman Jim McColl last night hosted a meeting with representatives of three leading supporters’ groups where the plans they outlined were positively received.
Last night’s meeting, held at McColl’s Clyde Blowers offices in East Kilbride, lasted around three hours with members of the Rangers Supporters Trust, Rangers Supporters Assembly and Rangers Supporters Association quizzing McColl and Murray. Full details of the meeting will be released today but Andy Kerr, president of the Assembly, made it clear there was backing for McColl and Murray.
“I think the majority of fans are behind this,” said Kerr. “It was a very successful meeting. The main purpose was to gather information and we have done that and we will share that in a meaningful format with the fans. We were quite happy with what we heard from Jim McColl and Paul Murray and the key now is to communicate that information. We will put it together in a Q and A format. (Scotsman)
Rangers’ surviving directors were last night linked with a dramatic move to bring former Scottish Football League chief executive David Longmuir on board in a bid to stem the tide of support swelling behind Jim McColl and Paul Murray’s attempt to take charge at Ibrox.
It is understood the current directors at the club – finance director Brian Stockbridge and non-executive James Easdale, along with the latter’s brother Sandy who sits on the separate football board – are considering Longmuir, who has been out of work since July, as a potential new chief executive. (Scotsman)
Celtic manager Neil Lennon admits he faces an impossible task in trying to keep hold of Fraser Forster and is bracing himself for a “huge bid” for the goalkeeper.
The England squad player enhanced his burgeoning reputation as a world-class stopper with another crucial display in Tuesday’s Champions League win over Ajax.
Lennon said during the summer that the 25-year-old, who signed a four-year contract last year in a permanent switch from Newcastle, was “not for sale at any price” but now concedes that he faces a struggle to keep potential suitors at bay.
Lennon said: “I think it’s going to be impossible to keep Fraser the way he is playing.
“Inevitably, I feel a big club will come in and make a huge bid for him.” (Scotsman)
Gary Fraser may face year-long ban for Chris Kane ‘attack’
On-loan Partick Thistle defender Gary Fraser is facing a lengthy ban if found guilty of an attack on Dunfermline’s Chris Kane. The Scottish Football Association has charged Fraser with punching Kane and kicking him repeatedly on the head and body in an Under-20 SPFL game at Firhill. The incident occurred in the 85th minute after a heavy challenge caused havoc on the field, with players surrounding each other. Fraser, who was sent off during the game, could face a ban of up to a year. (Herald)
Andy Goram: Roy Keane showed no respect
Former Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram backed Sir Alex Ferguson’s criticism of Roy Keane as he recalled their time as team-mates at Manchester United. Admitting that he and Keane did not see eye to eye, Goram recalled an incident at Carrington as he accused Keane of lacking respect.
“I’d rolled the ball to to Luke Chadwick who proceeded to blast it high over the bar. Keane turned sharply and grunted something in my direction. I didn’t quite catch what he said but it was something along the lines of ‘why didn’t you give the ball to me?’
“I wasn’t standing for that so I barked back, ‘is that how it works here Roy? Everyone has to give the ball to you?’
“He didn’t look in my direction again and afterwards the Neville brothers approached me in the changing room and said ‘erm Goalie, we don’t speak to Roy like that!’
“I told them I’d speak to Roy any way I bloody well liked, especially if he was going to treat me like dirt.” (The Sun)
Mark Hateley backs Rangers form amid boardroom battles
Former Rangers striker Mark Hateley has praised Ally McCoist’s side for maintaining a 100% league record in spite of the off-field problems surrounding the club.
Hateley said: “As far as I am concerned everything’s going well on the field. We are charging out way back up to the top and have a 100% league record. That side of it looks good.”
He added: “Obviously, you want some stability behind the scenes. But I believe that will come.” (The Sun)
Evra avoids rap for ‘tramps’ jibe
The French Football Federation has confirmed Patrice Evra will not be punished for his outspoken attack on a host of pundits in a recent interview.
The Manchester United full-back labelled 1998 World Cup winner Bixente Lizarazu and three other pundits “tramps” on French TV programme Telefoot. The group had criticised the talk he gave his team-mates during half-time of the World Cup qualifier with Belarus in September when he was a substitute.
• Former Hearts goalkeeper Marian Kello has signed a short-term deal with St Mirren. The 31-year-old could be ready to line up against Dundee United tomorrow.
• Vancouver Whitecaps striker Kenny Miller has flown to Sweden to see a knee specialist after missing a third of the MLS season. Miller, whose injury will rule him out for what remains of the campaign, is suffering from tendinitis in the knee.