Rumour Mill: Easdale threats | Leigh Griffiths

Share this article
445
Have your say

Cops investigate Sandy Easdale death threats; Leigh Griffiths insists he is happy at Celtic as Teemu Pukki looks for permanent Brondby switch and Ryan Gauld nets first Sporting Lisbon goals

Easdale calls cops after death threats

Death threats: Rangers chairman Sandy Easdale. Picture: John Devlin

Death threats: Rangers chairman Sandy Easdale. Picture: John Devlin

RANGERS chairman Sandy Easdale has called in the police after threats were made on his life.

The 47-year-old bus tycoon called in officers after sinister messages were left by phone, while internet postings called for Rangers fans to attack the Ibrox director’s house.

And media spokesman Jack Irvine was also threatened yesterday - with kneecapping.

Easdale has branded the abuse ‘unacceptable’, while police officers - already probing recent threats made against him - are going through phone messages, emails and internet forum postings.

A spokeswoman added: “We have received a complaint and inquiries are ongoing.” (Scottish Sun)

Griffiths: I never wanted out of Celtic

CELTIC striker Leigh Griffiths has revealed that it never crossed his mind to seek a move away from Celtic despite a spell on the sidelines.

The 24-year-old scored against former club Dundee on August 31, but didn’t play again until a substitute appearance against Dinamo Zagreb.

Speculation linked him with a return to boyhood heroes Hibernian, but ‘Sparky’ insists that he was always happy to fight for his place.

He told STV Sport: “It was never in my mind to leave. I had a chat with the manager and told him I didn’t want to go anywhere.

“I know there was speculation in the papers but this is the club for me and I don’t want to go anywhere else. I love playing here, I love everything about the place.” (STV Sport)

Pukki seeks permanent Brondby switch

MEANWHILE, Teemu Pukki is keen to turn his loan spell at Danish outfit Brondby into a permanent switch.

The Finn, signed by Neil Lennon for £2.4 million, struggled to make an impact during his time at Celtic Park and was farmed out to Brondby along with Hólmbert Friðjónsson during the summer.

And Pukki is reportedly keen on extending his stay after netting six goals in ten appearances.

The 24-year-old scored nine goals in 38 appearances for the Hoops but told The Herald: “I have enjoyed my time here. It was easy for me to settle and my team mates have been great to me.

“It is important to feel wanted and I really think Brondby is a fantastic club. I enjoy being here, not just football wise but also personally. I think that helps me on the field.

“Also, I am played as a striker which is my best position. It is up to the two clubs what happens with me, but I can only say I would be happy to stay.” (Herald)

Raith ticket plans infuriate Gers

RAITH Rovers have decided to sell tickets for their upcoming clash with Rangers directly to the away support, over fears they could be left out of pocket if the Ibrox club suffers financial difficulties again.

Stark’s Park bosses are concerned over dwindling cash supplies at Ibrox, and confirmed yesterday that they would handle the sale of briefs for visiting fans.

The Fife club are reportedly worried that Rangers may have struggled to reimburse them if the normal process had been followed.

Rangers were handed an emergency £500,000 loan from Sandy Easdale to avoid being wound up earlier this month. (Daily Record)

King dismisses tax issues threat to Rangers bid

DAVE King has dismissed claims that he is poised for a fresh battle with South African tax authorities, claiming he now has the “time and resources” to fully focus on his bid for control of Rangers.

The ex-director of the Ibrox club, who has requested a general meeting of shareholders calling for the removal of the board, agreed a settlement of £44 million with South African Revenue Services (SARS) in 2013 after accepting 41 charges of contravening tax laws in his adopted country.

He thus avoided the threat of a custodial sentence and remains adamant it will present no hurdle to him meeting the Scottish FA’s ‘fit and proper person’ criteria to become a ­director of Rangers again. (The Scotsman)

Peralta leaves Rangers by mutual consent

Honduran international Arnold Peralta has left Rangers by mutual consent.

The 25-year-old midfielder signed a four-year deal in 2013, but struggled to hold down a place in Ally McCoist’s team, and was often utilised at right back.

His last Rangers appearance was a forgettable night for the Honduran as Hibernian struck three times in the first half in a 3-1 win over the Gers at Ibrox in September. (Daily Record)

Nicky Law next to leave Rangers?

Rangers midfielder Nicky Law has reportedly been linked with a move away from Ibrox.

Leeds, Huddersfield, Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday are all said to be keen on the ex-Motherwell man.

Law’s Rangers team-mate Lewis Macleod left for Brentford earlier this month. (Goal.com)

Gauld grabs first Sporting goals but Leões taste defeat

RYAN Gauld scored his first goals for Sporting Lisbon last night but the young Scot’s brace wasn’t enough to prevent Marco Silva’s side going down 3-2 to Belenenses in the League Cup.

On his third successive start for Sporting, the 19-year-old scored in the sixth and 19th minutes to give his side a two-goal cushion.

But Belenenses hit back to reduce the deficit before scoring twice in the second half to put a damper on Gauld’s evening.

Gauld also made his league debut as a substitute in Sunday’s victory over Rio Ave, and picked up the man of the match award in the recent win over Boavista. (The Herald)

NEWS IN BRIEF

• Hibs won’t risk Ivorian striker Franck Dja Djedje for this weekend’s visit to Queen of the South. Djedje has been nursing a hamstring injury that saw him sit out last week’s 5-0 drubbing of Cowdenbeath

• Martin Odegaard has finally signed for Real Madrid, joining the Spanish giants from Stromsgodset

• Kris Doolan netted four last night as Partick Thistle humbled Hamilton 5-0

• Swansea are chasing Blackburn and Scotland forward Jordan Rhodes, who could cost the Swans £11m

• Ex-Celtic striker Georgios Samaras looks set to join Saudi Arabian outfit Al-Hilal,