Rumour Mill: Celtic’s Ciftci bid knocked back | Kris Commons

355
Have your say

Dundee United knock back £900,000 bid for Nadir Ciftci from Celtic as Middlesbrough join chase for Turkish striker and Commons a doubt for Euro clash

Umited knock back Ciftci bid

Celtic have had a bid for Nadir Ciftci knocked back while Middlesbrough are also in the hunt. Picture: PA

Celtic have had a bid for Nadir Ciftci knocked back while Middlesbrough are also in the hunt. Picture: PA

DUNDEE United have knocked back a £900,000 bid for Nadir Cifti from Celtic.

The Hoops made the six-figure offer for the striker less than six months after plucking Gary Mackay-Steven and Stuart Armstrong from Tannadice, and while United chiefs are open to selling Ciftci, it is understood they will not sell on the cheap.

The ex-Breda striker has a year left on his contract, but it is thought Middlesbrough are also keen on the 23-year-old, and are preparing a £1.7 million bid which could see Ciftci return to England. (Scottish Sun)

Commons a Euro doubt after freak injury

KRIS Commons faces missing out on Celtic’s Champions League qualifiers after suffering a freak injury.

The ex-Derby playmaker is nursing a broken toe after a wardrobe door fell on him.

Commons is now thought to be a doubt for the clash with Stjarnan.

Scans have revealed a minor fracture, with the 31-year-old facing a race against time to be fit to face the Icelandic outfit. (Scottish Sun)

Brown eyes treble glory

SCOTT BROWN has admitted it is his burning ambition to lead Celtic to a clean sweep of the domestic honours and once again sample the sumptuous fare of the Champions League.

The Celtic captain, who turned 30 last week, has an impressive CV having won five titles and the Scottish Cup and League Cup on two occasions in seven and a half years at Parkhead.

Brown said: “The one ambition I have left at Celtic is to get the treble. Everyone talks about it, we were so close last year, and it would be great to do it. (The Scotsman)

Stubbs slams Gers over Allan

ALAN Stubbs has hit out at the Rangers hierarchy following the club’s very public pursuit of Hibs midfielder Scott Allan.

Both Rangers and Celtic, along with Ipswich Town, have been linked with the ex-Dundee United youngster and Stubbs is understood to be unhappy with Paul Murray’s comments last week hinting at a move for Allan.

The former West Brom starlet was one of the key players in Hibernian’s second-place finish in the Championship last season and has signalled his intention to see out his contract at Easter Road.

But Stubbs said: “I don’t think it is the right thing to do. I wouldn’t do it. Everyone is entitled to do and say what they want. It is not what I would do.” (The Times)

Rangers open talks with goalkeeper Foderingham

RANGERS are to hold talks with former Swindon Town goalkeeper Wes Foderingham as Mark Warburton looks to bolster his squad ahead of the Petrofac Training Cup match against Hibs.

Foderingham, 24, started his career with Fulham but made no appearances for the first-team, and spent time on loan with Bromley, Boreham Wood, Histon and Swindon before joining the Robins on a permanent basis in 2012.

He has made 152 appearances for Swindon, and has been capped at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-19 levels for England. (Daily Mail)

Dundee United run rule over Aussie winger

DUNDEE United are to hand a trial to Australian winger Nick Epifano.

The South Melbourne midfielder is set to join up with United when they return to training on Wednesday, with reports in Australia suggesting Epifano will also get a chance to impress on the club’s pre-season tour of the Netherlands.

South Melbourne coach Chris Taylor told local media: “There are clubs that have been very interested in him. He’s been given the offer of Europe, he has an international passport.

“Dundee United are paying for everything, and taking him to Holland for some games.” (Evening Telegraph)

Boyd keen to prove point at Killie

KRIS Boyd returned to Kilmarnock for a third time yesterday - and has pledged to repay Gary Locke’s faith in him while taking a shot at Rangers.

The Scottish Premiership’s record scorer was one of 11 players released by Rangers after the club’s failure to win promotion to the Ladbrokes Premiership. Ibrox chairman King said the club’s players had “failed miserably” last term.

The 31-year-old, who has signed a two-year deal after signing for Killie for the third time, told STV: “It’s pretty easy when the fans are jumping on the bandwagon and I think Dave King [has been critical], when the fans are wanting someone to say that, to go and sell season tickets.

“What I will say is that we didn’t play with two men last year. Towards the end of the season, I think me and Lee McCulloch have taken a lot of stick but we were part of a 30-man squad.” (Various)

News in brief

Liam Henderson has been given the green light to return to training with Celtic after a knee injury cut his loan deal at Rosenborg short

• Stefan Scepovic has admitted that he struggled with the long-ball game and physicality of the Scottish game in his first season with Celtic

• Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes has insisted he has no fear about pitching Danny Ward into Thursday’s Europa League clash with Macedonian outfit Shkendija

• Hearts boss Robbie Neilson says the Jambos will be due a development fee from any club looking to sign Jason Holt - but admits the club won’t demand ‘silly money’

Back to the top of the page